BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my turn signal bulbs this weekend and apparently didn't fit the light stalk securely back into place. Then it rained yesterday and now there is moisture in the headlight. :eek:

Can I remove the plastic front cover/lens to dry it out? I'm hoping there are clips I can release and it'll pop off. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the lens will come off on my face lifted coupe? My stomach dropped when I thought that you have to bake the sucker off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
also check the Rubber backing on the headlight housing where you change the bulb, could of just come off and let a little water in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh boy. Anyone have any ideas on how to dry the thing out. I pulled the stalk out and was thinking about driving it around for a while hoping the air may clear it up. This doesn't look good. I guess I could try getting the 'ship to replace the whole thing under my CPO....

Who glues the lens on?!?!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided, before I take the sucker to the stealership and try to get a replacement, that I will run a rubber tube through the back into the turn signal hole along the top of the headlight and stick it out the grill. I am hoping when I drive it will force air into the headlight housing and dry up all the unsightly moisture.

My forehead is bruised from a series of :facepalm: and :banghead:

You guys think it'll work?

·
Registered
622 Posts
more involved option

more involved option:

I went through this when I did my angel eyes,,,,actually,the moisture was one reason I took the opportunity to do them.

Remove the entire unit----pretty easy (look up Angel Eye DIY)
You can open the unit up by heating the adhesive and prying apart
Dry it out (I used a hair dryer)
I taped a few silicon packets to the housing behind the bulbs----like the ones you get in a shoe box...
Reseal using the old adhesive---add a bead of silicon to double it up.

The packets may sound silly---but one time after I did this I had fog. 1 day later it was gone. No issues since (18 months)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Turn your inner halogen beam on for a while to get some heat in there. It should clear itself out. If necessary take your headlight out, remove all the gromets etc. and leave it on your kitchen counter for an afternoon to dry out and reassemble it properly. These headlights may not come apart but they are a lot easier to deal with than you'd think.

·
Registered
515 Posts
even if you plan on taking the lense off...baking them off really isnt that bad. much easier than your thinking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I am going to try my tube idea only because I wont be able to take the headlight out for at least 10 days or so and the moisture is bugging the hell out of me. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for preface-lift remove the whole turn signal housing, either a clip or screw accessed by a hole in the sheet metal directly behind the light. You can than access the turn signal stalk once you pull the turn signal house out of the front of the car. Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts