E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rented Kia last week. It had all the charm of my mom's '74 Datsun 710, but
in city traffic, the 'sport' autobox transmission mode was downright...
acceptable.
It kept revs up, gave significant engine braking, and made the thing controllable
and responsive in a way that an auto E46 just isn't. It wasn't frustrating at all.
Something I can't say at all about the E46.

Beyond the modified valve body, I haven't seen any threads on recoding the EGS to actually
make the slushbox shift better than my grandpa's Olds Delta 88.

Is it possible? Am I expecting too much of 1990's technology?
Should I just suck it and get the DSG like Parkalas did?

t

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,311 Posts
I find that keeping the auto (mine is a ZF) in sport mode is enough for me to not hate it. Feels 90's for sure, but in sport it's good enough I think.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
I can tell you that the 8HP70 that I have is centuries ahead of whatever auto the E46 came from factory with. Crisp shifts, engine braking, manual mode, 8 different programs (thanks to the controller), from relaxed city driving to drag race mode, cruise control (mentioning it cause most can't make it work), temporary manual mode and automatic return to auto after xx seconds, paddle shifting.

·
Administrator
19,158 Posts
I can tell you that the 8HP70 that I have is centuries ahead of whatever auto the E46 came from factory with. Crisp shifts, engine braking, manual mode, 8 different programs (thanks to the controller), from relaxed city driving to drag race mode, cruise control (mentioning it cause most can't make it work), temporary manual mode and automatic return to auto after xx seconds, paddle shifting.
Damn, that is a LOT of nice features!

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
Very true, and they in their never-ending quest for "improving things" continue to push into newer/better territory. Albeit trying to accomplish on what could be considered ancient hardware/software would require not only a more powerful EGS, it would also require the same for the DME.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
Very true and they in they're never ending quest for "improving things" continues to push into newer/better territory.
Albeit trying to accomplish on what could be considered ancient hardware/software would require not only a more powerful EGS, it would also require the same for the DME.
At the moment, the aftermarket EGS (TCU) i'm running does the above on the E46. The gearbox built-in mechatronics is no more or any stock E46 EGS. No way to achieve this on e46 era EGS hardware as you mention. The DME still remains MS43 that provides the torque values, and also receives input from the EGS for revmatch, torque cut, everything over canbus.

Office equipment Gas Font Auto part Metal

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
I'm aware. However consider the increased benefits if you had a more powerful DME to compliment it. That's all I'm saying.
I've read your thread.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Is it possible? Am I expecting too much of 1990's technology?
Yes, yes you are. Automatics were sold to help with the ladies wanting to drive a BMW but not wanting to learn a stick. If you wanted to drive more sporty - you got a manual. You should certainly expect newer automatics to be far better than older technology. The 4 series I had as a loaner had a flappy paddle that was fantastic - nothing like the automatics from even 2000s.

Should I just suck it and get the DSG like Parkalas did?
A manual

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah, everything from the '92 Ferd too-fiddy to the '68 Datsun 1600 to the 2001 330ci have sticks.

We need ONE autobox car in the fleet, and I can't bring myself to add a Kia just for the transmission.

So, yah- time for another project, I guess! May as well put it into the E39 touring...

Thanks, all.

t

·
Administrator
19,158 Posts
Nah, everything from the '92 Ferd too-fiddy to the '68 Datsun 1600 to the 2001 330ci have sticks.

We need ONE autobox car in the fleet, and I can't bring myself to add a Kia just for the transmission.

So, yah- time for another project, I guess! May as well put it into the E39 touring...

Thanks, all.

t
The E39 is a nice platform, especially the suspension and steering in the 525/530. Mine had the ZF auto trans.
I noticed the shifting of the ZF (on both E39 and E46) is a bit more performant and responsive compared to the GM.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Beyond the modified valve body, I haven't seen any threads on recoding the EGS to actually
make the slushbox shift better than my grandpa's Olds Delta 88.
I'm familiar with those Infineon processors that are used in the DME and EGS boxes, and I'm interested in changing the codes if someone know where to find the source codes.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ooo, had missed that thread- thanks!

DCT or ZF8... hmmm...
t

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
coming into this thread late but I have been battling this behavior since I owned many e46s/e90s over 15 years.

Unfortunately the 5/6speed slush boxes in the e46 and e90 generation had the worst of both worlds: Drive by Wire, early mechatronic hardware/software, and emission/fuel economy adaptation procedures. There is too much buffering and input from these variables that will make it impossible for the transmission to almost be responsive except for going to DCT and ZF8. The ZF8 is only as good as it is today because how close each planetary gear is from 1-6 (the last two are mainly for fuel economy).

Here's a fun fact, I had an e36 m3 automatic and an e39 automatic which share the same ZF5hp automatic transmission. The one on the e36 was way more responsive, shifts quick and consistent than the e39 because it was drive by wire and it did not have adaptations. So every time you start the car, the transmission behaved the same as before on the e36 version (if I threw a shorter final drive in it and it would be as fast as the manual variant).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts