BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
”MOD Bargains 10”

Small businesses drive our economy, yet only about half of them make it to their fifth birthday. So when a business makes it to 10 years, and does so 100% organically without any outside VC funding or investors - it’s worth taking notice.

That’s exactly what ModBargains has done, celebrating 10 years of success in the Aftermarket Automotive Parts and Restyling industry.

Founded in 2005 by two friends Mike Brown and Ron Hay who shared a passion for modifying vehicles, ModBargains was born out of the Internet and has grown since to be a digitally-driven business that’s helped disrupt the way car enthusiasts upgrade and modify their cars.

”MOD Bargains 10”

In 2004 Mike Brown started modifying his 2000 BMW 323Ci. What started with minor upgrades turned quickly into a full car build. Through this experience, people started to see Mike as an expert, and in-turn would come to him for advice on modifying their own cars. So while studying Business & Entrepreneurship at Chapman University, Mr. Brown saw that opportunity was knocking and set forth to turn his passion into a business.

Without any capital or funding, Mike looked to the Internet to be the platform for his business. Partnering with his fellow car enthusiast Ron Hay, Mike got to work on a website that would provide easy to understand information about products that automotive enthusiasts could use to learn which products to choose to make their vehicle better. And thus ModBargains.com was born.

Timing was good 10 years ago to grow an ecommerce business, with improvements in technology and Internet speeds that enabled ModBargains to better serve its customers. The company didn’t even have a phone number in its first two years of business. ModBargains was instantly a global company, receiving inquiries from customers all around the world. That is still a fact today with the vast majority of the company’s business involving shipping parts outside of the state of California.

”MOD Bargains 10”

And being small and nimble, this digital start-up was able to stay focused on growing even among the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression. Ironically, this volatile financial climate actually created new opportunities with parts suppliers who took notice of a different kind of buying culture that ModBargains was helping to establish.

Perhaps a bit ahead of their time, Mike and Ron saw that while providing the right parts at a great price was a key element to growing their online business, it was their ability to compliment this with deep expertise and a two-way conversation with customers that would make ModBargains stand out. The Internet and growing social media channels like Facebook, community blogs, and YouTube were the perfect delivery channels for this kind of customer buying experience.

Fast forward to today, and ModBargains has evolved from drop-shipping with no inventory, into a massive warehouse facility with shipments flowing in and out, along with dozens of employees interacting directly with customers to help them make choices on products.

”MOD Bargains 10”

ModBargains is now one of the most respected sellers of Automotive Restyling Accessories, including wheels, tires, suspension, lighting, exterior parts, and more. ModBargains also supports multiple charity efforts, including the Reach Out WorldWide (ROWW) charity, founded by the late Paul Walker; and sponsors numerous car enthusiast events such as the Bimmerfest BMW car show held annually at the Rose Bowl.

When asked what the future will hold for ModBargains, CEO Mike Brown explained, “we will continue to focus on our customers (the automotive enthusiast), and invest in finding new ways to help them smartly modify their cars through unmatched levels of expertise, experience, and enthusiasm throughout their entire buying lifecycle. In particular, providing them support after they purchase parts, which is something the big online retailers just don’t do.”

To learn more about ModBargains, visit www.modbargains.com or on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ModBargains.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Good stuff guys! Had a good time working there. Great people

·
When Keepin' it real goes..
6,629 Posts
Congrats Mike and ROn! Catch you guys at Bfest!

·
Registered
94 Posts
damn i can't believe its been that long. I remember the first few years. Man time has flown by. congrats ladies and gents, heres to a another 10 years.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Congrats guys, I remember when you guys were the new kids on the block

·
Law Enforcer
2,317 Posts
Congrats guys, I remember when you guys were the new kids on the block
Same here. Back in '05 one of the ModBargains guys (...I think it was Mike) brought a pair of Eibach 5mm spacers over to Valmont's house in Aliso Viejo. We were installing TEIN coilovers on the '05 IB ZCP M3 that I owned at the time, and we found that spacers were needed to allow the wheels/tires to clear the front suspension. Chad kept us company with his entertaining quips and stories of pimpdom while Lori did hair. :eeps: We then had pizza and beer (...well, soda in my case :D).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
:thumbsup: Good job guys!

·
ModZombie Moderator
25,609 Posts
Same here. Back in '05 one of the ModBargains guys (...I think it was Mike) brought a pair of Eibach 5mm spacers over to Valmont's house in Aliso Viejo. We were installing TEIN coilovers on the '05 IB ZCP M3 that I owned at the time, and we found that spacers were needed to allow the wheels/tires to clear the front suspension. Chad kept us company with his entertaining quips and stories of pimpdom while Lori did hair. :eeps: We then had pizza and beer (...well, soda in my case :D).
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Congrats Mike and Ron.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Congratulations! It is not easy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mike & Ron, Keep up the good work and congratulations!

Note to the website/editor:
What's going on with the picture, It's me of the picture is out of focus?

·
Registered
97 Posts
As a Small Business owner myself I can speak directly as to how hard it is! NJ guys keep working hard everyday...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts