E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a manual e46 M3 at a dealership in Sydney. They have performed their own checks on the vehicle but I'm not completely sold on how thorough these checks would be. They won't allow me to take the car to BMW for a PPI but do have a hoist there and are happy for someone to come and check the vehicle out on my behalf.

I basically want someone to check bushings & subframe on a hoist then take it for a quick spin to check the clutch, fly and diff.

Anyone know of someone who would be able to perform these checks? The dealership is in Parramatta.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
NRMA doesn't do them anymore. MTA does them now as well as a few others.

MTA report is comprehensive and you receive an emailed PDF copy including any pictures taken during the inspection. They will not do anything specific to a particular make or model, just their generic tests and check list. They will not know to look out for the peculiarities inherent to an E46, although you could send them a list of things to inspect and hope for the best. I would suggest maybe contacting someone like Peak Performance (or other reputable BMW independent) who are in Parra to see if they can send a tech over to do the inspection even though I feel they would be unlikely to do so, even at a price.

Good luck and very excited for your purchase!

Edit: not sure if he would agree, but thought of Phil Lim at Kelray Automotive located in Asquith. A few members have used and recommend his skil, knowledge and rates highly. He is about a 40min drive from Parramatta.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately they took a deposit on the vehicle this morning. Oh well. It didn't have widescreen nav or 19's which are two things I'd prefer it came with anyway. Now I might need to rate this thread 1 star too!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a car like an M3, you have to make sure model specific checks are done, otherwise save the money as they wont pick up the important stuff anyway ...
Totally agree. If the sale of my car has taught me anything it's to get a PPI. It cost under $200 and they found things even I didn't know about. Granted there was only 1 minor thing which needed to be replaced sooner rather than later but still.

The way I figure it is the PPI will either pick up enough to pay for itself in negotiation, steer you clear of a lemon or if it comes back fine you know you have an immaculate ride. Win / win / win IMO.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
That's the one. It was a good buy but the fact that they weren't open to a PPI was concerning.
Ye seemed like a good deal!
A lot of sellers are not open to PPI's .. most of them CBF.

Its a shame, because it can be the difference between a sale and a walk.

Btw: Im waiting for you to by a car first.. then ill buy the same!! keep the tradition going.. !!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ye seemed like a good deal!
A lot of sellers are not open to PPI's .. most of them CBF.

Its a shame, because it can be the difference between a sale and a walk.

Btw: Im waiting for you to by a car first.. then ill buy the same!! keep the tradition going.. !!
Haha. I'm lowering the budget to 35-40k. Just can't justify spending more on a car that will get driven once a week if it's lucky! Thus looking back at e46 M3's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont think you missed out on much with regards to the Black E46 M3 at eurodrive.

Exterior Wise:

Scratched side skirt *respray needed
Cracked front bumper
Scratches on rear QTR. Not sure if can be buffed out?
Rear window seals were cracked on both sides
Plastic under the windshield wiper area was badly cracked/chipped.

Interior looked to be in good nick. Leather was still nice, bolsters were nice and firm. Engine bay looked clean but that does not say much.

The car is lowered, I suspect on cheap kings springs or something of that nature.

The people working there did not seem to know much about the car as they had just received the car (that's what they were saying anyway).

Hope that answers some of your questions in relation to that particular M3.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ynotdrive4?
I live a 3 minute walk from central station and work is 4 stops away. Takes <10 minutes by train or >30 sitting in traffic if I drive. Plus it costs me $1.53 each way so it's cheaper too!

Offer this f4g 40 grand

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...=Car&eapi=2&Page=4&sort=~Price&cr=54&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294967079 4294966879 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5
I would if I thought it was worth it! Besides the K's there are much better e46 M3's out there for the money.

This one has been for sale for ages so could make for a good buy. I'd pay 34k for it.

Might even take a stab at this

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.