BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I got following problem on m54b30 engine: under load in 4000-5000rpm range I got misfire with fuel cut off (p1353) on cylinder 6th. I tried swapping coils, changed spark-plugs (NGK-platinum), changed air filter, changed fuel filter, swapped injectors, performed smoke test, checked compressions twice in different places (I got same results - same in all 6 cylinder), swapped MAF, swapped DISA, swapped ecu/ews/key (ms43), disconnected pre CAT and post CAT sensors - I got same error (p1353) and misfire under load :(
I tried disconnecting of intake/exhaust VANOS solenoids plugs and misfire disappeared (It does not matter which I m disconnecting intake, exhaust or both, - misfire disappears), but huge degradation in engine performance :(
I m having ticking/kicking noise as well under load on lower rpm-s when accelerating, as if engine could not detected detonation. On disconnected VANOS noise almost disappears as well. Performed diagnostic in many places, they could not tell me what is wrong :(
mileage 133k, oil: Mobil w5-40 (checked level today on cold engine and it is on minimum, going to change it on Castrol w5-30 tomorrow.
Please help me with the finding of the problem. I really don't know what to test next :( and what is the reason of the problem :(

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Look at your CVV may have torn diaphragm or cracked hose. The hoses are all plastic and one goes to cylinder #6 on the spreader plate.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Get Freeze Frame data and post up for review.

Also need to see Long Term Fuel Trims at warm idle and steady cruise 45-55 MPH.

If your tool does not support Freeze Frame and Live Data, for $20-$30 and a smart phone you can have a tool that supports it.

See this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Given this problem is a higher RPM, more than likely a secondary ignition problem, but it could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at your CVV may have torn diaphragm or cracked hose. The hoses are all plastic and one goes to cylinder #6 on the spreader plate.
I have changed CVV as soon as I bought the car, maybe engineer who changed it messed up something, I will take a look.
You mean return pipe ?
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Get Freeze Frame data and post up for review.
I have obd 2 scanner and VAG diagnostic cable, but not sure if it supports freeze frame data, ordered bmw scanner 1.4, but it will be in 2-3 weeks :( Anyway I will post values from both scanner. While standing car has no problems even hitting 6800rpms.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I have changed CVV as soon as I bought the car, maybe engineer who changed it messed up something, I will take a look.
You mean return pipe ?

I have obd 2 scanner and VAG diagnostic cable, but not sure if it supports freeze frame data, ordered bmw scanner 1.4, but it will be in 2-3 weeks :( Anyway I will post values from both scanner. While standing car has no problems even hitting 6800rpms.

BMW Scanner will likely be no help to you for this problem, it have VERY limited Live Data capability, I think it is DME/Model specific and it does not support Live Data on many cars.

Post the name and model number of your OBD tools.

If neither support Freeze Frame or Live Data, put them on Craigslist.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check fuel pressure at the rail. You changed fuel filter but have you ever changed the fuel pump? With the mileage you have it would be a good idea. Under back seat passenger side. Easy DIY, about 30 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
No, not the return pipe. The spreader is under the intake manifold trim cover. The top hose goes from the upper CVV to the spreader. Another hose goes from a nipple on the upper hose to cylinder #6 on the spreader.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a same problem with cyl.#3...I believe it was P1358 code.
Check your vacuum hoses, intake boots, DISA valve and clean ICV valve. ICV was my problem...carbon buildup. Once I cleaned it my issues with cyl. #3 were gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked Fuel pressure in the rail and it is normal 4.2 bar. My friend got INPA and Launch X431, so I can post actual values received from these scanners, but please indicate which values to select. Today when checking fuel pressure, I was told by engineer that it may be the VANOS piston. It is less likely, but it is fact that I have timing problem and if vanos piston is not going till the end it will delay ignition timing.
Going to visit another engineer who will check CVV, clean ICV and check all vacuum housings, but he will be available in next week :(

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Do not really expect a fuel supply issue with this problem as the fuel is supplied to the fuel rail at the back of the engine, so cylinder #6 is the first to be feed from the fuel line.

Now could there be an injector issue?? Possibly, but unlikely.

Misfiring under load usually is due to increased combustion chamber pressures and an increase in the secondary ignition Voltage requirement. So anything questionable about the spark plug, coil boot, ignition coil could be suspect. Luckily these are very easy things to check and move to a different cylinder for test purposes.

Next thing to check might be engine mechanicals by the way of compression and cylinder leakage testing.

Somewhat of a wild card would be a vacuum leak causing a leaning condition but usually vacuum leaks are not as much of an issue when under load. Keep in mind there are a number of vacuum ports at the rear of intake right at cylinder #6, so this could be a factor.

Then last could be something like a weak or broken valve spring, cracked valve or something else unusual.

As for what to check with OBD tools. Warm idle Long Term Fuel Trim values, LTFT values at steady cruise 45-55 MPH and Freeze Frame data for the misfire code as this will hopefully give other clues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts