BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought some 98 Vortex fuel form Caltex Woolworths at Neutral Bay on Monday night and Noticed on Tuesday the my car was misfiring at low engine revs. It has got progressively worse and today the engine waring light came on. I stopped the car turned off and back on again and the warning light went away but the miss fire would return on and off. Any ideas? I know it sounds like bad fuel but it runs ok with lots of revs ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
i would never get petrol from the woolworths/coles petrol stations...
heard bad things about the fuel. how else would they sell it sooo cheap??

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I use Vortex98 and have had no issues to date. Have used it preferentially for the last 5+ years.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine was misfiring a week ago too (after a small BP fuel up), it stopped after the next time I got fuel.

I use Vortex98 without problems as well.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi All,

I bought some 98 Vortex fuel form Caltex Woolworths at Neutral Bay on Monday night and Noticed on Tuesday the my car was misfiring at low engine revs. It has got progressively worse and today the engine waring light came on. I stopped the car turned off and back on again and the warning light went away but the miss fire would return on and off. Any ideas? I know it sounds like bad fuel but it runs ok with lots of revs ?
Use V power nothing else. Also how many km's on the car and has it had a fuel filter and plugs done?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use V power nothing else. Also how many km's on the car and has it had a fuel filter and plugs done?
I have always serviced at BMW SYdney as per service book. So yes plugs and filter done at 80klms and it has now done 101klms

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have always serviced at BMW SYdney as per service book. So yes plugs and filter done at 80klms and it has now done 101klms
If that's been done I would just stick to Shell V power. They have the most consistant quality supply out of all of the fuel companies.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Vortex98 is ****, I filled up with it at some servo I never usually go to and the car was running like ****...filled it up at my normal place and no problems...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Might be worth putting a litre or two of metho in the tank, if the fuel's been contaminated with water it'll help. Haven't had to do it on the M car yet, but worked for me several times in the E30 and daughters E36.

Cheers
JM

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might be worth putting a litre or two of metho in the tank, if the fuel's been contaminated with water it'll help. Haven't had to do it on the M car yet, but worked for me several times in the E30 and daughters E36.

Cheers
JM

Thanks will do. I fill up with Shell Vpower and it seems to have helped but to sort of drives like maybe the injecters are dirty / blocked partially. Is the an fuel addiitive I should also use for that?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks will do. I fill up with Shell Vpower and it seems to have helped but to sort of drives like maybe the injecters are dirty / blocked partially. Is the an fuel addiitive I should also use for that?
There is an injector cleaner you can get from the servo. Use that when you next fill up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have used injector cleaner, added a ltre of Metho to the fuel tank and the problem has not improved. I have done soem research on the M3 Forum and there seems to be a suggestion that maybe the Coils need replacing. Has anyone replaced their coils on their M3 ?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
yup , if they havent been done before just change them all out.

but it goes into limp mode when your coils are bad ...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have used injector cleaner, added a ltre of Metho to the fuel tank and the problem has not improved. I have done soem research on the M3 Forum and there seems to be a suggestion that maybe the Coils need replacing. Has anyone replaced their coils on their M3 ?
Usually you will really now about it if it's a dead coil. They sound like a tractor when they drop a coil.

I have 6 of them if you find one dead :thumbup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Usually you will really now about it if it's a dead coil. They sound like a tractor when they drop a coil.

I have 6 of them if you find one dead :thumbup:
It sounds like a tractor but not all the time.

I ordered 6 coils last night from Pelican parts.... Bugger, Yours would have arrived much quicker

1 - 20 of 22 Posts