E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 days ago I changed out the oil separator and all the hoses associated with it (PITA), along with 6 new spark plugs. After putting everything back together I went out to drive the car for a bit and it ran excellent, was giving me 22-25mpg.

This morning after driving the car to the train station I noticed a weird sound when i put my car into reverse and backed into a spot. Didn't think nothing of it until right now that I just drove the car again upon start up I heard a weird noise coming from the engine. When i got to the train station initially i was at 21.1 mpg, upon pulling out the same spot it dropped to 18.3 mpg. Got home and sure enough the car makes a weird noise, equivalent to like the belt running and the car sounds like a tractor.

Im about to pull everything out to make sure i put everything in its right place, any suggestions to what causes this? btw i haven't gotten any codes (yet) and hopefully i wont. TYIA

Quick Update: just checked the oil filler cap and theres mayo on it, i cleaned the cap 2 days ago as well and it didnt have anything on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just checked all the CCV hoses and they were all connected right, pulled on them and none of them came loose. Could it be the spark plugs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the ccv as a PM but prior to that there was no mayo, the drain back hose was actually clogged. I watched the Bav Auto diy vid and it said to blow compressed air down the pipe. I also only drive about 4 miles per trip- 8 miles total a day; I was reading other threads and others have suggested to run the car for a good while at about 3k rpm in order to remove condensation

·
Registered
529 Posts
You may want to search for wookie or chewbacca sound on here, to see if it is similar to what you are hearing, that is another CCV symptom. Did you get any degreaser on your pulleys? Sometimes that will rinse out the lubricant and cause a pulley failure on reassembly from and OFHG or CCV repair. I Learned that the hard way fixing oil leaks.
The bag test is quick and simple with a freezer bag, to see how much gets pulled in ~2 inches or more and there is a failed diaphragm, it should go in a little, is there a good seal on the oil cap? Those get pretty dried out when old. It needs to be a sealed system. Try a long drive to see if the mayo goes away, could be from not getting the oil hot but that doesn't explain the noise. No coolant loss?

The sound isnt like this:
http://youtu.be/Nbp5GkGAwLw

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
derp, I checked my plugs after checking that all the CCV hoses were connected right and I realized one of the plugs was actually loose :facepalm:, I cleaned out the spark plug well and tightened it up, also checked the other plugs.
Turned the car on and the noise was gone so im pretty sure it was that loose plug in cylinder 6 that was causing the tractor sound. I also took the car for a good fast drive :4ngie: all was well.

Im surprised I didn't get a misfire code or something, guess I didnt give the car time to pick it up lol. Thanks for all the info though man, much appreciated :thanks:.

On a side note; while I was driving yesterday night down 41 in Illinois I saw another E46 driver, dont know if they come on here or not but saluted nonetheless :woot:.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You may want to search for wookie or chewbacca sound on here, to see if it is similar to what you are hearing, that is another CCV symptom. Did you get any degreaser on your pulleys? Sometimes that will rinse out the lubricant and cause a pulley failure on reassembly from and OFHG or CCV repair. I Learned that the hard way fixing oil leaks.
The bag test is quick and simple with a freezer bag, to see how much gets pulled in ~2 inches or more and there is a failed diaphragm, it should go in a little, is there a good seal on the oil cap? Those get pretty dried out when old. It needs to be a sealed system. Try a long drive to see if the mayo goes away, could be from not getting the oil hot but that doesn't explain the noise. No coolant loss?

The sound isnt like this:
http://youtu.be/Nbp5GkGAwLw
ROFL I have never seen this before.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
E46Zone,

Did you remove the dipstick tube and clean that out?? The original tubes are double walled and clog easily.

Trick is to use a metal stabilizer from a windshield wiper refill to poke around inside the double wall area and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replace the O-ring where the dipstick enters the engine block.

·
Registered
529 Posts
derp, I checked my plugs after checking that all the CCV hoses were connected right and I realized one of the plugs was actually loose :facepalm:, I cleaned out the spark plug well and tightened it up, also checked the other plugs.
Turned the car on and the noise was gone so im pretty sure it was that loose plug in cylinder 6 that was causing the tractor sound. I also took the car for a good fast drive :4ngie: all was well.

Im surprised I didn't get a misfire code or something, guess I didnt give the car time to pick it up lol. Thanks for all the info though man, much appreciated :thanks:.

On a side note; while I was driving yesterday night down 41 in Illinois I saw another E46 driver, dont know if they come on here or not but saluted nonetheless :woot:.
Awesome, glad you found it!....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
E46Zone,

Did you remove the dipstick tube and clean that out?? The original tubes are double walled and clog easily.

Trick is to use a metal stabilizer from a windshield wiper refill to poke around inside the double wall area and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replace the O-ring where the dipstick enters the engine block.
I actually missed cleaning out the dipstick tube but I will be doing that sometime tomorrow since I didn't have the o-ring. Does the dipstick just pull out of the engine block or is it bolted down somewhere?

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Has bolts. Two as I recall. Go back and watch the Bavauto DIY vids. If you missed that, you probably will learn other stuff that you missed when watching the first time.

With your operating conditions, and past gunk history, you really need to clean out the dipstick tube. Actually you should spring for the new improved single tube version if you discover you have the double walled one on there now.

And one other thing: promise you'll never again do something as useless as taking spot reading of your mileage off of the OBC mpg computer and think you can deduce anything from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Has bolts. Two as I recall. Go back and watch the Bavauto DIY vids. If you missed that, you probably will learn other stuff that you missed when watching the first time.

With your operating conditions, and past gunk history, you really need to clean out the dipstick tube. Actually you should spring for the new improved single tube version if you discover you have the double walled one on there now.

And one other thing: promise you'll never again do something as useless as taking spot reading of your mileage off of the OBC mpg computer and think you can deduce anything from them.
ah okay, it most likely has the double walled tube though since the previous owners weren't to aware of certain things on this car from what i've seen.

-Since I dont have the proper tools to read my fuel trim or anything I have to kinda base myself off something and even though the OBC might not be accurate there is clearly something wrong if it drops 2mpg from shutoff to start on with the fuel either not burning properly or whatever

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
ah okay, it most likely has the double walled tube though since the previous owners weren't to aware of certain things on this car from what i've seen. Assume we're in the minority here at e46F compared to the general ownership pool. Treat your used cars accordingly.

-Since I dont have the proper tools to read my fuel trim or anything I have to kinda base myself off something and even though the OBC might not be accurate there is clearly something wrong if it drops 2mpg from shutoff to start on with the fuel either not burning properly or whatever DISAGREE!
See above

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just some tips for people that are going to clean the dipstick in the future, its a pain to use a metal rod or anything similar to clean the gunk out. I found it easier to heat the end of the dipstick with a heat gun and spray some wd-40 into it and then hitting it with the compressor, it loosens everything and drips right out.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Just some tips for people that are going to clean the dipstick in the future, its a pain to use a metal rod or anything similar to clean the gunk out. I found it easier to heat the end of the dipstick with a heat gun and spray some wd-40 into it and then hitting it with the compressor, it loosens everything and drips right out.
Are you referring to the single walled or double walled tube?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts