E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the electric fan kit for my e46 M3 and the instructions for the install are impossible for me to understand. Also I watched their video on YouTube and I have no idea where anything goes they did a terrible job explaining how to properly wire it. Does anyone have any good detailed write ups or videos they can link? I’ve been searching but haven’t found anything. Also can someone tell me why I have no negative wire from my battery terminal bolted in my engine bay? See the pic I provided for reference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't help you with fan instructions, but there's a good reason why there's no negative cable running to your negative post under the hood. If you look at your battery's negative terminal, it runs to the body of your car, hence your vehicle's entire body is negatively charged. That's why there's no need for the cable under the hood and the post is just a nice clean connection for you too hook up your negative cable in case you need to charge/jump your car. In reality you could just put negative end of charging cable on any metal part of your car's body and it would still work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't help you with fan instructions, but there's a good reason why there's no negative cable running to your negative post under the hood. If you look at your battery's negative terminal, it runs to the body of your car, hence your vehicle's entire body is negatively charged. That's why there's no need for the cable under the hood and the post is just a nice clean connection for you too hook up your negative cable in case you need to charge/jump your car. In reality you could just put negative end of charging cable on any metal part of your car's body and it would still work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
So you’re saying that there isn’t supposed to be a negative cable bolted there? Why is the bolt even there then?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,145 Posts
That piece is part of how you can jump start the car. That is where the black jumper cable hooks up.
Is it unscrewed and used for a grounding lug, yes. But that's not the design.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Also can someone tell me why I have no negative wire from my battery terminal bolted in my engine bay? See the pic I provided for reference.
Oops, they factory forgot to install the long negative black cable from battery to here!!! No, they are too cheap and used the car metal body for the negative long cable.
No reason not to use the huge metal chassis for negative "cable".

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
So I bought the electric fan kit for my e46 M3 and the instructions for the install are impossible for me to understand.
We can help with the instruction if you post it, as we are armchair advisors and too lazy to search up their instructions. I'd like to see the instruction and how bad it is, then fire the tech support guy.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I agree, the instruction is quite bad. Here is just one step to ruin someone engine:
51. Open the air bleed on the upper radiator hose.
52. Refill the system with a 50/50 mixture of BMW-approved coolant and distilled water.
53. You may now start the car. Let the car warm up to operating temperature. Make sure the fan can turn on and off.
54. You have now successfully installed the Mishimoto 2001–2006 BMW E46 M3 Performance Aluminum Fan Shroud Kit. Enjoy!

No where that it says to close the bleeder before driving the car!!

These people couldn't even provide a simple wiring diagram - even pencil on napkin -- for their fan connection. Instead they have useless and blur pics like this in the instruction:

I will create a wiring diagram for you. I would not buy any of these products from this lousy company that don't know how to write the instruction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly I have no idea where I’m running these wires to. I’ve watched several YouTube videos as well and I’m still lost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also this makes no sense why they didn’t provide the wires already together and ready to install. Instead I have to solder and splice them a million different ways.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
"6. Reconnect the small overflow port. "
Mishimoto don't know that this small pipe is for venting the air from the upper hose to the tank, and not an overflow? I thought they are in the coolant parts business.

"8. Remove the electrical connector. Set the connector aside until needed later.
9. Disconnect the plug on the stock fan shroud."
I have no idea what connector and what plug the instruction is talking about. The fresh air sensor on the top right of the radiator and the ACC fan module connector (2 power wires and one PWM signal)? Instruction never mention about these connector/plug again but it says "until needed later". So bad.

"8. Using zip ties, mount the fan relay on the metal beam located near the ABS system. "
Anyone guess where they really want to mount the relay?

"16. Splice the end of the supplied red wire. Leave approximately 1/4” of exposed wire. "
Spline to what? In electrical, spline means adding a new wire to an existing wire.

"29. Find the black wire connected to the main wire harness, and measure the correct length needed to reach the negative terminal of the engine bay "
35. Connect the ring terminal to the negative battery terminal in the engine bay.
What is the main wire harness? Is it the same as the fan controller harness?
In consistence of using terminal name. Just say the Ground terminal instead, as battery means battery.

"27. If you have a probe-style sensor, place it between the fins of the radiator about 4–6” down on the passenger side.
28. Plug the sensor into the main fan relay unit. "
Hmm, the sensor is placed on the radiator, and the same sensor is plugged into the relay mounted near the ABS system?

"45. Strip the end of the yellow wire.
46. Crimp the end of the supplied fuse jumper onto the yellow wire.
49. Pull the 30 amp fuse and place it into the empty slot of the fuse jumper.
50. Plug the fuse jumper into the slot from which the 30 amp fuse was pulled. "
Which 30A fuse to be used? It cannot just any 30A fuses in the fuse box!!! So stupid the instruction and the people wrote it.

Without seeing the kit in person or in pics, this instruction is so badly written that I couldn't see how it works. I don't see the sensor or the relay has any connections to the fan controller or the fan. I am total amazed this company is still in business.

I may call them next week just to find out what exactly how do they read their instruction.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I have a feeling that this stuff was designed and made in China and same people wrote the instructions.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Here is the only wiring diagram for the fan that ever exists on this planet, by me:
Re the yellow wire: connect the yellow wire to the provided fuse holder, then pull the radio 30A fuse from the fuse box and plug it into the fuse holder empty slot, then plug the fuse holder back into the stock radio 30A slot.
Mishimoto: You are welcome to copy and use this wiring diagram on your website to help other customers!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I finally finished the install but the fan will never turn on? It never kicks on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts