E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

so I’ve been chasing this problem for a while now I have a 330 swapped touring. And I keep getting misfire with fuel cut off on cylinder one, which puts me into limp Mode.

i have done
injectors
Coil pack
Spark plugs
Value cover gasket
Smoke test

but the problem is still consistent. It happens when the car is under load and sometimes at idle.

i got an endoscope and took the best photos of my cats that I could if any one has any tips on this or what could be going on that would be great
Atmosphere Water Liquid Hood Automotive lighting

Water Liquid Window Moisture Snout

Artifact Astronomical object Circle Close-up Metal

Tints and shades Blazer Circle Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
If it’s just a single cylinder the cats are fine. You’ve swapped the coil, changed the plug, cleaner/swapped the injector so the next thing is a compression test on all 6 cylinders. Why all 6? You want to see the variation between cylinders. Any difference greater than 10% means there’s a mechanical issue. Also, check the connector on the engine harness for the cylinder 1 coil. Make sure it’s clean and tight. Compare it to the other connectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I have done a compression test as well all cylinders are sitting at 170. And yes I’ve swapped the coils all around and I have gotten a new maf and filter

·
Registered
174 Posts
When u say 330 swap? What did u do? I had multiple misfires with fuel cut off after I broke the distribution rail on intake manifold. I bought a used one that came with throttle body. So I just swap all the used parts I bought instead of using what I had. I put my old parts back in now no misfires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When u say 330 swap? What did u do? I had multiple misfires with fuel cut off after I broke the distribution rail on intake manifold. I bought a used one that came with throttle body. So I just swap all the used parts I bought instead of using what I had. I put my old parts back in now no misfires.
From factory I had a 325 but it had bad compression so I took a 330 from a 2004 I havent thought of the distribution rail would that allow it to only be in one cylinder having issues. But I use the car for drifting last time at the track before I got my new maf I used a friends maf and filter and the car ran great so I replaced mine but I’m still having issues

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,093 Posts
Misfires are caused by Electrical and Mixture problems:

Electrical

• Plugs and coils. Swap with another cylinder to see if fault follows
  • Harness. Dirty connectors, damaged wires, faulty coil earthing resistor, missing coil earth straps (cylinders 1 and 6)
  • DME. Inspect the 2 sets of 6 MOSFETS (Black boxes) around the outside of the DME PC Board for damage. Inspect for PC Board track damage. Any damage will be obvious.
Mixture

• Too rich. Too much fuel, not enough air. Faulty MAF or Pre-Cat sensor fooling the DME into thinking 1 or the 2 prior causes is happening, blocked Cats, O2 pilot mode on CCV, if the problem is bank specific, a leaking injector.
  • Too lean. Too much air, not enough fuel. Faulty MAF or Pre-Cat sensor fooling the DME into thinking 1 or the 2 prior causes is happening. Vacuum leaks (see first tip)
  • The DME has a performance tune. The DME tables may not match the MAF or injectors fitted. The Air/Fuel tables have been incorrectly altered. Put the DME back to its original tune and see if the problem is fixed.

Your code is indicating an electrical fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts