BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2001 e46 325ci with an m52tub28 engine (don't ask, old owner had if fitted as it was lower mileage).

To add some context I've been overseas for the last 14 months and while away I got my brother to start it and warm it for me every so often. He doesn't have a licence so never took it for a good drive.

Anyway, now I'm back the car has developed an intermittent misfire. This misfire never occurs during cold start neither while I'm driving 10-20 miles on an average trip. It only seems to occur when the engine is warm and at idle and if I don't clear the codes using carly it continues. I've replaced the spark plugs to no avail.

Carly has given me these codes:

Lambda control limit bank 1
Lambda control limit bank 2
Misfire sometimes just on 2 cylinders, sometimes 3 or 4 or 5
Nw E error which is exhaust camshaft
Purge Valve

OBD FUSION Has given me:

P1083
P1085
P0340

Any help greatly appreciated. Screenshots below from running engine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 2001 e46 325ci with an m52tub28 engine (don't ask, old owner had if fitted as it was lower mileage).

To add some context I've been overseas for the last 14 months and while away I got my brother to start it and warm it for me every so often. He doesn't have a licence so never took it for a good drive.

Anyway, now I'm back the car has developed an intermittent misfire. This misfire never occurs during cold start neither while I'm driving 10-20 miles on an average trip. It only seems to occur when the engine is warm and at idle and if I don't clear the codes using carly it continues. I've replaced the spark plugs to no avail.

Carly has given me these codes:

Lambda control limit bank 1
Lambda control limit bank 2
Misfire sometimes just on 2 cylinders, sometimes 3 or 4 or 5
Nw E error which is exhaust camshaft
Purge Valve

OBD FUSION Has given me:

P1083
P1085
P0340

Any help greatly appreciated. Screenshots below from running engine.

View attachment 919200
View attachment 919201
View attachment 919202
Replace your intake cam sensor. That should take care of the P0340. The other two the are lean codes so you need to check for vacuum leaks. Standing idle for 14 months rubber pipes can dry up and then crack as soon as you put pressure on them. Post cat voltages are a bit low too. Should be a consistent 0.7 VDC. But sort that stuff out first and then see how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace your intake cam sensor. That should take care of the P0340. The other two the are lean codes so you need to check for vacuum leaks. Standing idle for 14 months rubber pipes can dry up and then crack as soon as you put pressure on them. Post cat voltages are a bit low too. Should be a consistent 0.7 VDC. But sort that stuff out first and then see how it goes.
Thanks, ill grab an intake cam sensor tomorrow and check for vac leaks. Thanks for the advice

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,888 Posts
Best way to find vacuum leaks is a smoke test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts