BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 330i with 104,000 miles with a misfire and I think I know what it is after reading and searching this forum for hours but I wanted to get some input. I am pulling code 1347(and 0170) telling me the misfire is in cylinder 3. The car is not warmed up, but i turn the engine on and disconnect the ignition coil on #3 and the misfire stays the same, so it must be the ignition coil. So I drive the car home and want to double check so I check number three and now the car stalls...hmmm...but the misfire is also gone too. It appears #3 misfires until the engine is warm. If i turn off the engine and back on, it runs fine after warming up.

I also swapped #2 and #3 ignition coil and this does not help. I decided to replace teh boot and the spark plug but the damn spark plug boot is stuck to the spark plug(#3). I pull out the center piece of the boot and run a flat head along the sides of the spark plug/inside of boot connection and sure enough it comes right out. I pull out the plug and low and behold the threads have oil on them. I replaced the plug and the boot and teh car runs fine, but I know it is just a matter of time before it gets fouled out as well.

I have an obvious oil leak, and i think my culprit is the ccv. I plan on chancing out my vcg for preventative anyway but first thing is first and i want to figure out what is fouling my plug. Any thoughts?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any oil leaking from the valve cover down into the cylinder fouling out the plug??
You know I do not think so, but i cannot be for sure. I did have an oily residue on the top part of the plug but i think it was just wd40 that i sprayed to get the boot off. The oily residue smelled like wd40 but it was darker than i would expect wd40 to be so there may be a small bit of oil leaking from a vcg. That being said, very little residue was above the threads on the spark plug while it appears to be caked on the bottom part of the spark plug and is very evident on the threads.

I will be changing out the vcg this weekend which will give me an oppertunity to see the condition of the gasket on cylinder 3.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a lot of oil in the plug holes?
Maybe a little bit, but certinaly not a significant amount. There was very little oily residue on top of the plug which may or may not be oil or wd40. I will take a pictures of the plug and post them later on today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ccv

Oil on the spark plugs could be due to the CCV, I just had to replace mine. I had terrible cold start issues, idle problems, and misfires. I couldn't find a vacuum leak on the intake boots, checked the MAF (I bought one, turns out mine is fine so if anyone needs one PM me:craig:), and still had problems. I didn't have all of the gunk under the oil cap or on the dipstick, sure signs of a CCV failure, or any sucking noise etc, but guess what replaced it and sure enough. Changed out my oily spark plugs and she's running great again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts