BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington Post has an article about the BMW i8. Seems BMW engineers have a prototype that has no exterior mirrors. Instead, there are two external cameras that feed the interior review "mirror," which is really a display. The car integrates the video from three cameras (two side exterior cameras and a rear facing camera) and displays the result in the '"mirror." Current Fed Gov regs require exterior mirrors. BMW and Tesla are asking for changes to the requirement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's just plain weird to me. I like high tech, but I also like traditional car parts to function the way they always have. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim, thanks for link.

This actually increases safety as the driver can see an "integrated picture of what's behind the car at a single glance. The driver will no longer have to look at three separate mirrors to get the "whole story."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some commercial vehicle companies (tractor trailers) have been using these as a supplemental system for years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's just plain weird to me. I like high tech, but I also like traditional car parts to function the way they always have. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
You need to learn to adapt, its people like you that keep saying pay for cabs and not for the better priced and better service like uber. I can see this working and as soon as those regulations make sense the sooner this can go on the road, it might even prevent more accidents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They want to do this for a number of reasons.

One is that the camera is much smaller than a mirror, which means less drag, which means better fuel economy
Another is, like you guys are saying, it can integrate all of the "mirrors" into a single rearview display.
Last is, now this becomes another detector that the car's computer can access for driving assistance and/or self-driving.

·
Registered
227 Posts
New cars will look odd without the traditional mirror ear look. Instead it will be a small nub or something weird like that.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You need to learn to adapt, its people like you that keep saying pay for cabs and not for the better priced and better service like uber. I can see this working and as soon as those regulations make sense the sooner this can go on the road, it might even prevent more accidents.
I just take the bus...

But what happens when that screen goes out, or there is a wiring failure?
You still need a traditional rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I just take the bus...

But what happens when that screen goes out, or there is a wiring failure?
You still need a traditional rear view mirror.
How often has your mirror glass spontaneously busted?

And how often do people have screen failures on car electronics?
It will never happen, just like fully electric braking.
Yeah sure, wires r bad.

The current "traditional" side view mirror already has wiring for at least power adjustment motors. In some cases there is additional wiring for a heating element, turn signal and blind spot indicator. Plenty of existing electric failure points.

Honda has taken a step in this direction with LaneWatch, where a camera sits below the passenger mirror and projects an expanded image with guidelines. It's much better than a small fixed mirror.

My guess is, the camera sensor itself will last quite a long time and will generally require only the same level of maintenance as a traditional glass mirror - clean the lens the same as you would clean the mirror glass.

I guess if your side view camera fails, you can use the original, "traditional" side view by rotating your head a little.

Edit: oops, didn't realize I was bumping an old thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts