BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since this comes up occasionally, I figured I'd just start a whole new thread for it.

Jud, you're going to Bill's? I shoot there pretty often, although not as much lately. It's best to go during the day on a weekday to avoid the crowds. Nice facility, but unfortunately you can't do rapid fire or do holster drills. It's a compromise.

Dan, there's a new range in Monticello?? Indoor or outdoor?

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What all do you have for guns, Dan?

What about everyone else?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep, going to Bills with gf and her brother and maybe bro in law. Unfortunately the weekend is the only open time for all of us. Are you sure about the rapid fire deal? I see they rent the auto weapons so that seems contradictory? I don't have too much, mainly hunting guns- 12ga mod 1300, custom czech 25-06 bolt action, .243 browning semi auto, 16ga browning, ruger 10-22 carbine (all black), and a 22 colt revolver. Used to have 45 colt peacemaker :( but am thinking about a semi 9mm. The others have 9mm sig, glock, ect.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They used to ban rapid fire, but that may have changed. I did it a number of years back and got yelled at. It was limited to either double-taps or failure drills, but nothing more. If they don't ban rapid fire any more, then that'd certainly be cool.

I have a Kimber Tactical Custom II .45ACP, Custom Match Glock 20C 10mm Auto, Glock 22, and a Glock 27 for carry. For rifles I have a custom DPMS M4, custom built accurized Remington M700 target rifle in .223Rem, and a Marlin 60 that I don't use anymore. For shotguns I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle with a separate scoped slug barrel. I also have a Mossberg 500 20ga (worst shotgun EVER!) that I can't get rid of.

I'm looking at a couple of rifles right now, but can't decide what to buy or build first.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Kimbers are sweet. Nice collection andy. I'd also like to get an over under 20 ga- any recommendations for a midrange one?

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Kimbers are sweet. Nice collection andy. I'd also like to get an over under 20 ga- any recommendations for a midrange one?
Midrange for an over/under is about $900-2500. Obviously, you're not going to get into a supergun like the Perazzi for that price, but you can get a lot of gun for a good price.

I would recommend the Ruger Red Label on the low end of the mid-range. You can get into a standard one for about $900-1200. Rugers are a great shotgun, and they're pretty well built. I'm just not a fan of them, but they have their following. If you want a purely field-grade shotgun and don't care what it looks like, the Ruger's a good choice. The Red Labels aren't designed to be pretty and aren't engraved and glammed up like the Browning and Beretta options. They're not a showpiece.

Then, you can also look at the Browning Citori or Cynergy. Those start in the $1400-2k range typically depending on model. The Brownings can be heavier and tend to get expensive really fast. They're more sporting/clays/trap geared in their designs for the Citori, while the Cynergy is more of a field shotgun. Browning is one of the top competition shotgun manufacturers out there, so you can't go wrong. I'm just not a fan of the weight that they usually have. Also, Brownings have a stiffer break in the action, but it smooths out as you use it, so not a huge deal. Brownings are nice in style and design, but you have to spend some money to get a piece that's great on display. The base models are very basic in styling as opposed to the upper grades.

The third recommendation would be the Beretta White Onyx or Silver Pigeon S. Berettas tend to run a little bit lighter and have a more refined action. They're italian design, so they are very reliable and smooth right from the factory. After break-in, they're effortless in opening and closing. They're about the same in price as the Citoris, and like Brownings, they can get expensive really fast. Berettas are more of a field grade shotgun and they just get more glitzy and classy as you upgrade. While good for taking to the trap club, the Brownings are more suited for that while I consider Berettas to be the better field guns. Berettas are also the best looking over-unders on the market in my opinion. They ALL have classic engraving and design with better grade wood in the visual sense. The lower/base models of the Berettas start out a bit more in price, but all of them can double as a showpiece.

An honorable mention goes to the Weatherby Orion D'Italia Grades I, II, or III, and the Athena D'Italia Grade III. The Orions range from $1300-2k, while the Athena starts in the $2300 range and goes up from there. Weatherbys are very nice shotguns, but tend to run a bit stiffer in the action than Berettas while still being smoother than the Brownings. Again, after break-in, they're smooth. The Weatherby has nice wood and metal, but it's nothing too special to look at. They aren't designed to be too aesthetically pleasing, and are similar to the Rugers in that regard.

I'm biased to the Berettas, but that's through personal experiences with shooting other over/unders. I think the styling, wood, engraved receivers, and overall appearance wins it for me. They're reliable and high quality, but let's face it-most people buy an over/under to show it off. If you want a gun that's just a field grade lead slinger, you go buy a pump or auto. If you want something to take to the trap club or field that will grab everyone's attention and generate some respect, admiration, and even a little harmless jealousy, you go buy an over/under.
I sold guns for almost 4 years, and I like to think that I have a good grasp on things. That being said, the best gun to buy is ALWAYS the one that fits you best, shoots best for you, and that YOU like looking at and using the most.

I personally don't like used guns, but used over/unders are a great option. People shoot those far less than other shotguns. Go to Gander Mountain and keep an eye out for them. When you see them, you'll see how they're typically in great shape and have been shot minimally. The exception is of course trap/skeet guns. Those should pretty much be avoided. It's like marrying a street prostitute - a lot a wear and tear and abuse, and many unknown problems you want to avoid. :D

The one thing that I WILL say is that you need to make sure you avoid the low-end. Cheaper over/unders are not worth their weight in cow crap. I used to see people come in and buy the EAA/Baikals or the Stoeger Condors. Baikals are cheap Russian crap and Stoegers are the red-headed stepchild economy wing of Beretta S.P.A. Another one to avoid is the Remington SPR310 and that family. Remington makes great shotguns, but for their over/unders, it's bad technology that was bought and not developed in-house. Disappointing to say the least. Finally, Mossberg. I perpetually hate Mossberg after one almost got me killed. That being said, Mossberg makes a crap over/under. The guns are made of cheap grade wood, stamped receivers, and have engraving that looks like overpass graffiti instead of art. When asked one time by a customer to describe why not to buy a high-grade Mossberg Reserve Series O/U, I replied "you can gold plate a pile of $hit and show everybody how good it looks, but at the end of the day, it's still look like a gold plated pile of $hit."
These guys would buy Baikal IZH-27s or Stoeger Condors and take them to the trap club and try and stand up with the guys shooting Browning Citoris and BT-99s and the like. The guys with the crappy guns found out early on that the guns don't hold up to abuse, and that they just don't shoot as well. Add to that the fact that people who know stuff about guns or shooting WILL lose respect for you if you show up with a crap gun like a Baikal or Mossberg. The worst is when people actually buy those cheap guns to try to be on the inside of the over/under community; which is pretty much all of them. It shows that you're either cheap or just "trying too hard". If you want to skimp on the shotgun cost, buy a pump. You just don't skimp on an O/U or SxS. Nobody will give you crap for showing up with a $250 Remington 870 pump, but they will if you show up with a Baikal, Stoeger or Mossberg O/U (or similar economy crap). The only decent low-end O/U is the Fausti Stefano, and even then I'm not a huge fan since you can do much better.

With O/U and SxS shotguns, you really do get what you pay for.
Sorry for the long response, I just love guns. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
i can assure you guys you can rapid fire there...my Mack will chew through 32 rounds in a couple of seconds and they never said anything to me

right now i have

Romanian AK-47
1946 Russian M44 7.62X39R
Benelli M4 (my favorite)
1951 Lefever Nitro Special 20ga side by side double
Masterpiece Arms Mack 11
TWO sequintial serial numbered Glock 22's (very hard to get)
Ruger 357 Magnum revolver
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45 cal
Jennings J-22 .22LR auto loader
Winchester 30-30
Browning .22 LR lever action

im looking into a extreemly high power rifle to round off my collection

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im looking into a extreemly high power rifle to round off my collection
Define Extremely high power rifle. Are you looking at like a Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird, a .338 Lapua Magnum, a safari grade caliber like the .416 Rigby or .475 Nitro Express, or the long range/hard target interdiction rounds like the .408 CheyTac or the .50BMG?

Big calibers RULE.

(I forsee myself buying a .338 Lapua Magnum Sako-TRG in the near future.)

·
Registered
836 Posts
.475 Nitro Express is what i have been looking at......not too into the .50BMG craze

id like a side by side double barrel .475....big $$$ though!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge Andy! I will have to contemplate it a bit more than I thought. I've always liked the Berettas but wasn't sure what else was good. I plan to do more skeet/trap shooting on my property.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.475 Nitro Express is what i have been looking at......not too into the .50BMG craze

id like a side by side double barrel .475....big $$$ though!
Serious hardware. Nice.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge Andy! I will have to contemplate it a bit more than I thought. I've always liked the Berettas but wasn't sure what else was good. I plan to do more skeet/trap shooting on my property.
Berettas are still phenomenal, but you may be more interested in some of what Browning has to offer. Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since when do you need a safari to buy a big gun? Lest we not forget a certain movie that goes by the title of Red Dawn... :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
ha...bloodiest movie ever made if remember correctly

seriously though guns are just like cars...eventually your gonna want more power

·
Registered
351 Posts
ha...bloodiest movie ever made if remember correctly

seriously though guns are just like cars...eventually your gonna want more power
Thats not what my shoulder says after shooting several 3" magnum 12ga slugs (not sabot)! Get a howitzer.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay, I have a couple setups I'm looking at. Let me know what you guys think:
RIFLE #1

Springfield Loaded M1A w/ Extended Rail Cluster

Attach McMillan M3A Adjustable stock

Which scope?

Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 M1 Illuminated Mil-Dot

or
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 M1 Illuminated Mil-Dot