E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fanatics,

I recently ordered a set of snow tires and rims from Gary at TireRack. Great guy, great company. The wheels are getting shipped staight to my dealer. Meanwhile, what's the scoop on my stock Michelin Pilot Sport's in the cold (but no snow) ?

I've heard some people say summer tires are useless under 40 degrees, etc. Anyone know the actual operating temperatures for the stock tires? Should I avoid driving at night (when it's cold)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Psy

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The optimal performance of your pilot sports can't be reached under 40 degrees. However, you'll be fine considering it isn't snowing yet.

Psychomancer said:
Hey Fanatics,

I recently ordered a set of snow tires and rims from Gary at TireRack. Great guy, great company. The wheels are getting shipped staight to my dealer. Meanwhile, what's the scoop on my stock Michelin Pilot Sport's in the cold (but no snow) ?

I've heard some people say summer tires are useless under 40 degrees, etc. Anyone know the actual operating temperatures for the stock tires? Should I avoid driving at night (when it's cold)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Psy

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Well put. Like cgrizzly said, it won't be optimal for best dry grip since the tires will be below their ideal operating temps. However they aren't too bad at all as long as the roads aren't snow or ice covered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well put. Like cgrizzly said, it won't be optimal for best dry grip since the tires will be below their ideal operating temps. However they aren't too bad at all as long as the roads aren't snow or ice covered.
Ok, so just to confirm, the 40 degree guideline that folks talk about is for optimal dry performance. Under 40 degrees, I'll loose some performance handling, but it won't be like I'm riding on 17" "big wheel" solid plastic tires.

So, taking things to the next step, how about:
1. when it's cold and it rains?
2. it gets even colder, say 20 or 30 degrees? Is there a temperature below witch I just shouldn't drive on my summer tires (Pilot Sport)?

Sorry if I sound paranoid. Just trying to stay safe before my snow tires get here. I had all-seasons on my XI and I've never had to deal with performance tires.

Thanks,
-Psy

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Fine on all the above. The key is they they don't work in ice and snow. While colder temps will reduce dry traction, they won't be extremely hard like big wheel plastic tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fine on all the above. The key is they they don't work in ice and snow. While colder temps will reduce dry traction, they won't be extremely hard like big wheel plastic tires.
Had my Pilots on last time it rained with the temp around 40F. Made for an interesting ride :eeps:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts