BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 225/50/YR16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 323i. Today I noticed that my tire pressure on my tires is around 22 PSI (one tire has 20 PSI). When I looked at the tires, the MAX PSI is listed as 51 PSI, however in my owners manual the recommended MAX PSI is less (around 30 PSI I believe)

My question is should I follow my owners manual and have my tires be around 30 PSI or should I go by what's on the tires and go for around 51 PSI.
Also, someone told me that I should set the tire pressure to be about 3 PSI less than the max. Is this right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
The Max on the sidewall is a Maximum only and should almost never be used. Michelin recommends using the vehicles listed pressures, which in this case should be the 30psi.

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Max on the sidewall is a Maximum only and should almost never be used. Michelin recommends using the vehicles listed pressures, which in this case should be the 30psi.
Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, I forgot to ask you... if the vehicle's listed pressure is around 30psi max, as a rule should I set the tire pressure to be less than the max and if so then how much less than the max?

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I would never use max pressure with your size/model tire and car. There are some air pressures that are recommended if the car is fully loaded (IE: full of passengers and luggage). You'll find them in your owners manual or tire placard on the car. They'll be higher than 30psi, but still nowhere near 51psi!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts