E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you that have experience with Metallic Tint (not mirror) affecting the reception of your radio and/or interfering with your radar detector reception?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
Do any of you that have experience with Metallic Tint (not mirror) affecting the reception of your radio and/or interfering with your radar detector reception?

Thanks!
it doesnt' really affect my radio reception but i dont know about radar cause i dont have one.

·
You can have your E9X
68 Posts
Being the resident window tinter on the board( I have owned my own shop for 8 years),I can tell you that certain metal window films(they don't have to be reflective to be metal,by the way) can hinder radio reception .As for the radar detector,metal films can seriously cut your sensitivity down .If you have had a sunstrip installed on top of your windshield(where most of us have our radar detectors),I would notch out an area to help your radar detector's sensitivity.
Actually,even going through non metal window films can reduce your radar detector's effectiveness.So WATCH OUT!

·
Registered
621 Posts
yes, metallized films do affect reception, on radar, on gsm phones as well. try and get a ceramic based film, like huper optik, a german brand.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to get a Safety film (4+mils thick) for anti smash-and-grab with a 35% shading. I think it would look subtle and nice. Brandonlowe - do you know of any great products that will give me this? I dont' want something too thick that I can't roll my windows down. But I want it to work effectively when a break in is attempted.

I do have the Valentine 1 (which I just finished mounting about 5 minutes ago) along the roof line. I do not have a sun strip (besides the factory blue coloring) so I'm ok there.

I'd appreciate any high quality brand recommendations you had for the anti smash-and-grab and the 35% tinting. Are there any brands I should under all circumstances stay away from?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't that it would messup radio reception, isn't the antenna not inside the interior. but I could see it messing up cell phones and that type of stuff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've got 28% Metallic (not mirrored) tint; Formula One Brand. I also have a V1. I have not noticed a decrease in the V1's range from the rear (testing from known radar sources). No decrease in radio reception either. The only decrease was the range of the Automatic Door Locks, I'd say my range is about 10-15 meters.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I got non-metallized film because most of the tint shops in my area said that metallized "can" affect reception where I live. I didn't want to deal with that since my reception is already pretty crappy. It depends on what film you get and also how strong the FM and AM signals are in your primary driving area.

·
Registered
621 Posts
your best bet would be to use armorgard for anti-theft film, and a ceramic based tint for the darkness. I only have experience with huper optik which was recommended to me above v-kool. So far, so good.. had v-kool in a very dark limo tint before which was a metallic tint, def. decreased key fob alarm reception.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldn't two applications of tint make the window next to impossible to roll down? Aren't there any decent products that offer anti smash-and-grab AND a tint? Am I being too picky?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I also have the 28% Formula One metallic tint and I have no loss of radio reception. At least for FM, I don't ever listen to AM so don't know about that. I don't have a radar either, but FM radio works just like before I tinted. I listented to it right before I took it in the tint shop and listented to it after, all good to go! :thumbup:

I don't use cell phones, but I don't see why a metallic tint would mess up your cell phone? Since there are metal parts all over your car already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts