BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my M3 from the dealership after the first oil change after the break in period at 1200 miles...When pulling into my garage, I notice smoke coming out from my hood...Both my water temp and oil temp are reading normal, so it was not overheating...After opening the hood, I see oil spilled all over the block and I have to assume that the oil burning on the hot engine is making the smoke...
So, I have come to the conclusion that:
1. My engine has a major problem (not likely at 1200 miles and just after being fully checked out)
2. The dealership managed to spill half a quart of oil when adding new oil and was too lazy to clean it up,
or
3. The dealership didn't spill the oil, but also didn't tighten the oil cap, leading to oil flying all over as soon as driven...The cap didn't seem loose, but wasn't very snug either...

The oil level appears ok still, but should I be concerned about driving it?...
Obivously, I am getting on the phone with the dealership ASAP tomorrow...
Has anyone else ever had a similiar problem?...or does anyone have any other guesses or suggestions....

Needless to say, I am pissed...and now my garage and and half of my house reek of burning oil...

what should I do now?

TIA,

-mmmike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
come on...
somebody has to have an idea...or at least suggestions about how to deal with the service dept...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on...
somebody has to have an idea...or at least suggestions about how to deal with the service dept...

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
dude, they obviously fukked up, call them and complain!

you didnt even pop your hood between the dealer and home (i assume) so how could this be your fault when THEY were the ones doing an OIL change, and now there is oil all over the car!

i wouldnt touch the car, i would take pics, and i would get them on the phone. have them send a tech to the house to clean up, add some oil and drive it to the dealership for a full inspection, because u dont wanna drive with less than adequate oil level.

final line, be stern but dont be an azzhole. if they refuse to help you, take ur business elsewhere. nuff said.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, that's what I was planning on...hopefully they'll be cool and take care of it...I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
274 Posts
they did a similar thing to my car when I first got it: gave me the car with way less than 1 quart...the car stalled out because of lack of oil at aroune 1000 miles--not good. at the time there wasn't much they could do--they picked it up and put oil in, etc. but in reality they should have replaced the engine (considering the damage they did). all i can say is this:
document, document, document.
keep a record of all of this, every detail.
the way this came in handy, was that when I later (this past summer) accidentally mis-shifted, they covered the repair (probably over $4000 and not covered under warranty) under warranty with no questions asked...it's leverage for future happenings, if nothing else.

best of luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Resident Biznatch Slapper
272 Posts
I would say it is normal to have some smoke and a burning smell after an oil change. Most cars (at least Hondas) have the oil filter on the back of the block and inevitably oil will spill when removing it and get on to the back of the block and possibly the downpipe/exhaust. It happened to me today in fact when changing the oil in my accord.

But, in the 330 (and I assume the ///M3) the oil filter is placed in such a way that no oil is (or should) be spilled. I didn't spill a drop when changing the oil on my 330.

If the cap seemed even a little snug it wasn't coming from there. Obviously oil isn't going to climb up the engine so the drain plug is secure. I bet they just spilled some oil when refilling it.

I wouldn't be a cawk when I called them, but I would demand a few things. One, they would send someone to your car to pick it up, dropping you off an ///M or a 7 Series (just b/c they are nice as hell to drive, especially the 760, love that car). Two they should have your engine steam cleaned and detailed like they have never detailed a car before, ever.

But, if you're like me you probably wouldn't trust them w/ your car (you did once though) and would change your own oil and wouldn't be reading my rambling post.

Bottom line, be cool, but be firm. They screwed up and should own up to it.

Zach

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,047 Posts
Which dealer was this? Hopefully it's a good one. I go to South Bay, and their service is done pretty well and quick too. Burning oil could be dangerous, so watch out. I thnk there's a possibility that it'll catch fire. I would have them tow it to the dealer.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
take pictures and

have your new m3 flatbeded to the dealer. and leave very thing as is. don't touch anything don't clean anything. just show the dealer mech. the engine like it was when you got it home and like you got it out of their dealership.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to go to work very early, so I called my service rep as soon as they opened this morning...(I have known my service rep for over 15 years, not through BMW, but as friends from the same home town and high school, so I didn't act like a prick) Told him what happened and he took about an hour to run it by all the mechanics...Their guess is the o-ring seal on the oil filter has not properly sealed and may be throwing oil...Apparently they have seen it before, and they want me to bring it back in tomorrow...obviously I asked them if they are sure I should drive it in, and they responded that as long as my oil level is high, then it's no problem...Apparently the o-rings leak sometimes at first, but then seal up with a little driving...I will check my oil tonight and tomorrow am, and if it looks ok, I'll drive it in...My service rep who's a friend apologized and said they would take care of me...We'll see and I keep ya posted...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?...or ever heard of this type of thing happening, meaning with the oil filter o-ring, seal, etc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts