E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car got wrecked and it smashed my back bumper, rear right quarter panel (gas side), and they replaced everything back there and a day after getting my car back the engine light came on (this never happened before they touched my car.....no engine lights ever). My friend ran the codes and it pushed p0455 and a few other I cant remember but we came to the conclusion each one referred to gas leak......I took it back to the shop and they claim it was non of their work....They replaced all that back section

So my question is can anyone shed some light on the LOCATIONS that would cause a p0455 code to push. I know its EVAP and it's not my fuel cap already been tested. its fine. Please help!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Did you fill it up with the car running? I know if you fuel up with the car running it throws a code, but I dont know what it is..... Looks like everything on the net points to fuel cap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you fill it up with the car running? I know if you fuel up with the car running it throws a code, but I dont know what it is..... Looks like everything on the net points to fuel cap
No. I filled it up as soon as I got the car, the next day I'd say I was on half a tank the code pushes while cruising. My buddy cleared it and it came on 3 days later same thing. Not a full tank and not right after filling up.....I took it to the shop they claim it wasn't anything they could visibly see and not claiming work they did was related which I find hard to believe since they worked on that entire back end....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Possible evap line or fuel filler neck damage and EVAP sys not reading correct pressure (would be the same as a loose gas cap). May be additional damage not found initially. Doesn't sound like they screwed anything up, maybe just missed something.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,986 Posts
So someone also guessed the Leak Detection Pump in one of the "P0455" threads which I just searched.

I was just under the gas cap searching for an electrical issue. If you didn't know, the charcoal canister is right below it. Above the corner panel that you remove with 3 plastic rivets. I believe, but am not certain, that this canister has the pump in it to pull a vacuum and test whether there's a leak in the evap system.

Maybe it was damaged in the accident (it's right there!) and someone missed it or forgot to plug it back in or something. If 'they' didn't do anything, maybe it's because they haven't worked on enough BMWs to know this was hiding there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to my insurance agent and this place offers lifetime warranty on there work but to me they don't want to admit they missed something so he said next week my car will be taken to united or global for a 3rd party inspection so we won't have to pay a ridiculous price that was already paid.....hope they find the problem....but thanks for the info. I'm thinking it's a leak but small enough because I don't see or smell anything which is concerning me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So someone also guessed the Leak Detection Pump in one of the "P0455" threads which I just searched.

I was just under the gas cap searching for an electrical issue. If you didn't know, the charcoal canister is right below it. Above the corner panel that you remove with 3 plastic rivets. I believe, but am not certain, that this canister has the pump in it to pull a vacuum and test whether there's a leak in the evap system.

Maybe it was damaged in the accident (it's right there!) and someone missed it or forgot to plug it back in or something. If 'they' didn't do anything, maybe it's because they haven't worked on enough BMWs to know this was hiding there?

Finally got it over to united BMW they found out that one evap line was never connected and was highly dissappointed to hear one of their favorite repair shops tried to screw us over. So p0455 code led to a evap hose not being connected to the charcoal canister. All is well thank you all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts