BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this is probably a very simple answer but I can't find the solution searching the forum: I have an '04 325xi sedan with a dead battery. With no juice, I can't open the trunk to access the battery. I figure that there must be a mechanical mechanism to open the trunk but I can't find it. I can only see the electrical trunk release located above the hood release lever.

·
Registered
214 Posts
stick the key to the hole and turn it to manually open the trunk

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
:lmao::rofl:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I forgot to add that I did try the keyhole (obvious first thing to try...duh) but that didn't work. Will try the 12v jump start in the front though. I didn't know there was one. Should be obvious to find I assume.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ahahaha

well good luck. it's a little terminal box on the left side of the engine bay, with a "+" sign on it.
for the negative/ground, use one of the bolts behind the firewall/divider (where you US spec people have your drug bin)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
you're not turning it hard/far enough. try again and it should pop or just jump that car as suggested

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to dig up and old thread, but would this work if the battery didn't have a great connection? I think I might have not connected my neg terminal tightly enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I did the jump starting route by connecting my jumpers to the jump start connecting points in the hood and that worked like a charm. There shouldn't be any problems if your neg terminal is loose on the battery since you're not jumping using the car's battery...plus the entire metal chassis of your car is grounded to the negative terminal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I did the jump starting route by connecting my jumpers to the jump start connecting points in the hood and that worked like a charm. There shouldn't be any problems if your neg terminal is loose on the battery since you're not jumping using the car's battery...plus the entire metal chassis of your car is grounded to the negative terminal.
So if this method does not work then am i completely f*cked?

·
Registered
339 Posts
completely f*cked ---- no

I suppose you could take your back seat completely out and attempt a direct jump, hook up charger, or replace the batt....

^I might be wrong here...anyone?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you connect a power source to the jumper connections and you can't open the trunk it rules out the battery and battery connections. When jumping, be sure you get solid connections on both the positive and chassis. If you're sure of that, then the likely problems may be the electrical connections leading to the locking mechanism or the lock itself. Have you tried opening using both your key and truck releases? (obvious thing but I've certainly looked over some of the more simple things). Be sure your trunk lock is not in the valet position.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@ raizor: How would I know if the trunk lock is in the valet position? I never intentionally put it in valet position.

@The-Traveler: The keyhole just rotates 360 degrees. So i can't really turn it more that 360 degrees unfortunately. I would love it if the lock worked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts