E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the mechanic and had them do a transmission service because of a whine, when they went to flush it they found that the transmission only had 3 shot glasses worth of transmission fluid, so they refilled it and told me to drive her around for 100 miles then bring her back in, when i got there the noise was still there and just as loud if not louder... i said i think its my throw out baring they said i need a new transmission and it only has about 6 months to a year before its a large paper weight

So.. to the reason for this post...

I was quoted:
$1100 for a new transmission
$400 for labor
and they said i should get a new clutch and one with a better flywheel or something they recommended the UUC M5 kit and they said its about $950

so it will be ruffly $2500
does that sound about right?

·
Just Nuts
7,245 Posts
Sounds like you can afford it. So, yes it is right. I am a little puzzled why the shop didn't recommend replacing the engine while they are 'in there'.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
all flywheels are metal.
you don't need an m5 clutch for a 323, unless you like to piss away your money.
$400 for labor to drop a transmission and install a new one. Most decent shops can do it in 2 or 3 hrs; what's the labor rate in your area?
get a second opinion. Sounds like this shop is about to rob you.
Are you sure the whine is coming from the transmission?

·
Registered
415 Posts
You don't need an upgraded clutch, unless you're making lots of power. My throwout bearing went out on my M, that could be the possible problem as you mentioned. But then again, you had very little tranny fluid, which points to the tranny.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you have 6 months to a year of life on it then drive it for 6 months to a year. Make the most out of it unless you feel like replacing it anyways.

And since when do you need an m5 clutch to handle a massive 180hp?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you have 6 months to a year of life on it then drive it for 6 months to a year. Make the most out of it unless you feel like replacing it anyways.

And since when do you need an m5 clutch to handle a massive 180hp?
180hp lol your too kind ... i haven't had 180hp for a LOOOONG time.. im thinking ... 160 something around there... but yes thats why i started to question their logic...

as for the throw out bearing ... its the opposite ... when i push on my clutch the sound goes away, when i am driving the sound gets louder with my rpms

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
They are probably assuming the dual mass flywheel will be junk. the UUC m5 kits comes with a lightweight flywheel and is a cheaper option that a replacement dual mass flywheel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Possibly the flywheel if it goes away when engaging the clutch and if it increases/decreases with revs.

Here is what you are looking for
http://www.******************.com/d...=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&gan=1&apwidj895hpz

$210.95 with free shipping

You can also do the install yourself if you have the time.

The only reason you would need to replace the entire transmission bell-housing would be if you have a serious crack in it and your hemorrhaging fluid.

Hey I was being optimistic..I like to think my car still has 180 :p

Edit. I noticed that for some reason e46fanatics is blocking out the url. Google 1999 323i clutch and its from the first website, the auto warehouse one.

Also a clutch kit and flywheel comes out to $300 total..how is that not cheaper than a $2450 UUC Kit?
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...2=925681710&ProductID=268&Target=products.asp

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont understand, could you try explaining the problem a little more? There's a thread floating around here about a high pitched squeal that dissipates when the clutch is in, maybe your problem is much simpler than expected? And as for the mechanic... M5 clutch + 323 = red flag. As another poster had said, get a second quote, that job shouldn't take 400$ of labor, even if needed.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Possibly the flywheel if it goes away when engaging the clutch and if it increases/decreases with revs.

Here is what you are looking for

{http://www.******************.com/details/QQBMWQQ323iQQSachsQQClutch_KitQQ19981999QQW0133-1599934.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&gan=1&apwidj895hpz}

$210.95 with free shipping

You can also do the install yourself if you have the time.

The only reason you would need to replace the entire transmission bell-housing would be if you have a serious crack in it and your hemorrhaging fluid.

Hey I was being optimistic..I like to think my car still has 180 :p
There are many reasons to replace the whole trans the fact it only had VERY little fluid in it means there is a chance of damage to syncros and or output or input bearings. Does the noise go away when putting the clutch in or out. Or putting the car in neutral costing down the road.

Sometimes I wonder why i bother I could sped 10 hours a day correcting misinformation on the stupidnet and still never get it all fixed.....

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I dont understand, could you try explaining the problem a little more? There's a thread floating around here about a high pitched squeal that dissipates when the clutch is in, maybe your problem is much simpler than expected? And as for the mechanic... M5 clutch + 323 = red flag. As another poster had said, get a second quote, that job shouldn't take 400$ of labor, even if needed.
m5 clutch kit from UUC comes with a lightweight flywheel and is cheaper than the dual mass flywheel GEZZZZZ some of you people need to think....

warranty labor time on a clutch is 4.5 hours from BMW. Most shops will charge a Customer pay time of around 5-6 hours labor

·
Registered
356 Posts
m5 clutch kit from UUC comes with a lightweight flywheel and is cheaper than the dual mass flywheel GEZZZZZ some of you people need to think....

warranty labor time on a clutch is 4.5 hours from BMW. Most shops will charge a Customer pay time of around 5-6 hours labor
I found the entire setup, OE Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout bearing for $300.

How is this more expensive than the $2450 UUC M5 set?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I found the entire setup, OE Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout bearing for $300.

How is this more expensive than the $2450 UUC M5 set?
The ucc kit is 950 according the the original poster where do you get 2450 from??????

·
Registered
356 Posts
^ LOL even the cheesiest of flywheels will be way over $300. I think you better double-check your information. Why would you question a tech? Think before you speak as JBeurotech said
My friend you are mistaken. The auto parts site has them for $70. Google it. I have no experience with them, I'm just telling you that it does not cost $300.

I think you should stop nut-hugging. Its not healthy.

I would question a tech that would recommend an m5 clutch kit / flywheel for a 323i. And if you don't then there's some deeper underlying issues that I can't help you with.

Even if you went with a used transmission your looking at $750 for a mid mileage used one.

I simply asked a question, after all I would rather learn for myself how I'm wrong so I can learn rather than blindly follow the word of someone whose trying to make a sale.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
My friend you are mistaken. The auto parts site has them for $70. Google it. I have no experience with them, I'm just telling you that it does not cost $300.

I would question a tech that would recommend an m5 clutch kit / flywheel for a 323i. And if you don't then there's some deeper underlying issues that I can't help you with.

Even if you went with a used transmission your looking at $750 for a mid mileage used one.

I simply asked a question, after all I would rather learn for myself how I'm wrong so I can learn rather than blindly follow the word of someone whose trying to make a sale.
How am I making a sale I have no interest in this car just clearing up misinformation. There is no flywheel for $70......

the kit you quoted is a sachs clutch kit that did not INCLUDE the flywheel.

·
Registered
30,072 Posts

LOL you're so ridiculous I'm not going to even take more than 20 seconds to respond to you. You obviously know nothing about nothing. Flywheel? $70? LUL, go back to school.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The ucc kit is 950 according the the original poster where do you get 2450 from??????
Check my links..Its the last one.

I hit the first clutch kit I found from UUC.

If you can show that the m5 clutch/flywheel combo is more beneficial in the long run, then I will have gladly learned something.

I'm not trying to insult or question your experience, I'm just looking for the right answer and I hope to learn something because lets face it shops that over charge for parts and labor aren't exactly rare so I apologize if I questioned the decision to put a high performance M5 clutch in a 323i.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts