E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup brought the car into a bmw technician to get checked out since i was blowing steam/smoke from the top of my motor.and you guy were right it was my valve cover gakset leaking.he also changed my oil filter housing gasket too.when i bought the car 5 months ago from a kia dealership he told me the valve cover gasket was just replaced.so im going to give him hell about the work that was performed.but the bmw tech told me $931 for the repairs.does that sound right? too high?,id love to hear opinions thanx

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
yup brought the car into a bmw technician to get checked out since i was blowing steam/smoke from the top of my motor.and you guy were right it was my valve cover gakset leaking.he also changed my oil filter housing gasket too.when i bought the car 5 months ago from a kia dealership he told me the valve cover gasket was just replaced.so im going to give him hell about the work that was performed.but the bmw tech told me $931 for the repairs.does that sound right? too high?,id love to hear opinions thanx

$931 is about right for a stealership. indy would be much less but of course a DIY and a weekend will cost you no more than $200.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ridiculously high. The VCG is like $20-30 and the OFHG is like $6. You're getting charged almost $900 in labor alone. Contact solidjake, he lives in NY. He might be willing to do the job at a 3rd of that price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhh that sucks for me now.i already told the guy to do it.and its not a dealership its a bmw autotech mechanic.i guess i live and learn can anyone tell me where solidjake is?cause id love to give him my business if you can vouch for him.thanx guys.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
All his profile says is NYC. Not sure where exactly. He might pop in at some point. Or if not just search his screen name which is Solidjake and send him a PM. It's not all that hard to work on our cars. There are plenty of walkthroughs on this site, that give you step by step instructions on how to do stuff. Quite easy once you muster up the courage to give it a try.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
ahhh that sucks for me now.i already told the guy to do it.and its not a dealership its a bmw autotech mechanic.i guess i live and learn can anyone tell me where solidjake is?cause id love to give him my business if you can vouch for him.thanx guys.
solidjake is also a moderator here so you know he is legit

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
another reason people should search before handing their cars over to somebody else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
930? ouch......half as much is still a rip off. less than 100 bucks in parts and some quality time with your car. One piece of DYI advice..make sure for 930 that the mechanic thoroughly cleans all oil off the heat sheild....use a mirror to make sure all is gone. even the smallest amount will still smoke and smell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya i hope he gives me a reach around too after screwing me,but i love my baby and i just wanted to get it done.im really not that confident in myself to do it myself or i wouldve.but if i can get in contact with solidjake id really be happy to give him my busienss

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
ya i hope he gives me a reach around too after screwing me,but i love my baby and i just wanted to get it done.im really not that confident in myself to do it myself or i wouldve.but if i can get in contact with solidjake id really be happy to give him my busienss
if you are not confident, might start doing.
I seriously not joking the fact I bought my E46 just to get confident working on it.:lmao:
things I have done in order:
VCG/Vanos
Rear Shocks
Transmission and Transfer case fluid
Oil filter housing gasket/oil change/oil level sensor
Front and rear diff fluid
Control arms and bushings

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Paid a friend of mine 150 bucks to do it (including parts)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok now after all the replies here im getting depressed that im paying this much :banghead:,i just called him hoping they didnt start the job yet.but its almost done and i have to pick it up later this afternoon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts