BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow fanatics,

2002 BMW 325 XI. doing my waterpump, thermostat, tensioners. Of course after removing the 4 10 mm bolts holding on the waterpump composite (plastic) pulley, I can't get it off.

I've pulled on it hard for awhile now...sprayed some lubricant....nothing. Any tips? i don't want to crack the thing trying to remove it.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Take a look at the one you are about to install. There are 2 different sized threads to insert bolts into. Buy 2 bolts that size and use them in your old water pump - as you tighten them the old water pump will push away from the seal.

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
Sort of what he said...there are two threaded holes in water pump that don't hold the pump on...so put bolts in the holes you didn't remove bolts from and use those to tighten bolt into and WP will pop out...wish I had old one to give more specific info...but it's been a while.

I'm trying to think if there are bolts that size around on your car already, so in case you don't have a car now to get bolts with, you could remove from that part temporarily and return them after you're done...will see if I have my old wp hiding somewhere to give more help.

D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You can use two of the four bolts that hold the waterpump to the block. Ingenious design, really!

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Those answers are for the pump itself, I don't think they apply to the pulley. Mine broke by just looking at it, be prepared to replace it.

The water pump jacks out with M6 screws.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
For the pulley, the bolts shouldn't be so tight that you can't hold it by hand once the waterpump is off of the car and loosen them with a ratchet or a wrench.

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

·
Registered
262 Posts
Spray it with liquid wrench "make sure you spray enough around the thread area where it contacts the pulley" let is soaks for a few minutes and respray more liquid wrench around it. Grab a rubber hammer "mallet" start hit around the pulley with light to medium force but don't go crazy on it and it should come off easy. The reason it stuck on because of the rusted surface melt to the back of the pulley.

·
Registered
28,427 Posts
I don't understand what your problem is really.. but if its just about removing the pulley from the pump--well honestly you should be replacing the pulley with an oem or aluminum one. Why compromise your cooling system over a $25 pulley? Those things are known to crack on some cars. Just keep trying, it'll come off. It's just seized on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem as of yet is not removing the WP itself. It is removing the plastic pulley part from the water pump. I've rented a 2/3 jaw puller for free from autozone....i've keep you posted. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
28,427 Posts
you don't need a jaw pulley to remove a pulley from a water pump.. are you kidding me? come on dude just yank it off. if you need that much force to remove it, you risk damaging it. i'd just spray some penetrating lube on it wait an hour then tap it off using minimal force

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
came off with the jaw pulley. no damage done. finally ready to move on.
glad to hear it worked out. I will have to remember to use a 2/3 jaw puller if I run into this problem.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
OP,
You should inspect Closely the backside of that plastic pulley... If it's siege on that badly to your old WP, then there's some heat damage to the unit itself. There could be stress fractures around the bolt holes that's not apparent from initial/casual glance.

If you re-use your old one, you risk catastrophic Fail:

Just saying..

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bolts for the thermostat can also be used to release the WP from the engine block in the two holes.

"You should inspect Closely the backside of that plastic pulley... If it's siege on that badly to your old WP, then there's some heat damage to the unit itself. There could be stress fractures around the bolt holes that's not apparent from initial/casual glance."

I noticed there was a mark on the back of the pulley...the thread holes and grooves looked okay to the naked eye. Thank you for posting the excellent picture. Hmmmn....it feels like i'm rolling the dice....we will have to see.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Just get a new pulley! really not worth the gamble for $25-$40 depending on which you buy; oem or alloy respectively. Just do it lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts