BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching this to no avail. Even the dealer provided only basic advice (didn't work). Understand I can have my keys automatically be associated with specific driver settings. I drive the car 99% of the time, but occassionally the wife will use the car. We've programmed the seat to our specific settings (I'm 5'8" and she's 5" 1") so there IS a difference. However outside mirrors need to be adjusted manually after she drives. Can someone tell me how to associate her settings with her key and mine with my key???? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
i was told by my (less than accurate) dealer that just using the keys set the memory.

i would try setting everything (seats, mirrors, aircon, radio) to your liking and locking it in with the seat memory, with your key.

remove your key, and have her do the same, locking it in to the seat memory. try a different memory number just in case.

that's all i can suggest..

·
Registered
244 Posts
First, sit in the car and set the seat and mirror positions to the desired positions. Store these in memory by pressing "M" on the seat ("M" lights up) and then one of the numbers ("M" light goes out). The seat and mirror positions are now stored and can be changed manually by pressing and holding the appropriate number button.

Now, remove and insert the key to be associated with the positions you just set. Not sure if you have to start the car, but do it just to be sure. Now the key is programmed with the settings you entered. To get a key to change the seat/mirror settings you have to unlock the car with the appropriate key, either using the remote or manually by inserting the key in the door. Whether it works with the remote is programmed by the dealer. Try locking and unlocking with two different remote keys to see which option is set in your car.

The tricky thing here is that if you don't use the key to unlock your car, but get in and start the car, the current seat/mirror settings are stored in the key you used to start the car. Since most people don't lock their car in their garage, they end up with keys having the same seat and mirror settings. If you want to use this feature, you have to get in the habit of locking and unlocking your car (if it is not locked) before you get in.

Below is the relevant section from the Car and Key Memory Settings List for E46. This is from

http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/glossa...keycfg_01.html

The link is from the "Info collected that you might like to know" sticky at the top of the General forum.

Seat/Mirror Memory

The automatic seat adjustment is activated by
the specific key being used if the vehicle is
equipped with seat memory. Setting in Car
Memory defines when the actual adjustment
starts: when pressing unlock button on
remote, or when opening the door.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Actually, IIRC, if the car is programmed so that the seat memory is NOT controlled by the remote, you have to physically unlock and open the door. Then the seats and mirrors begin to move.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
What if you walk up to your unlocked car and press UNLOCK or turn the key in the door; will that still signal the key-memory function? (bmwnation link is not found)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry for the bad link. This one works:

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

As to the question about just pressing the unlock button - I'm not sure. I just went out to my car and manually set the seats to a different position than mine then tried to use my remote to set it back by pressing the unlock button. Didn't work. It also didn't do anything if I pressed lock and then unlock. :facepalm:

Somebody with two working remote keys should try this. I'll try it after I replace the battery in my other remote key.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. BMW Canada is a client of mine, so gonna give them a call tomorrow and ask. We always lock and unlock using the key remote. It's never done anything when opening the door as I was explained it could.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
If I recall, there is something that needs to be programmed on the car for the full key memory to work correctly. Most cars I have run across, do not have this feature programmed as I think many folks do not understand how it works and that it is tied to a specific key.

If you have all the materials that came with the car, owners manual etc, there is a card with adhesive color tags to mark the keys for specific drivers to keep track of all the programmable features.

I know many auto makers have this feature, however, many disable it because of customer confusion.

Search the forum for programmable vehicle options and you will see details on this feature. Or Google BMW SIB B 09 03 98.

I think the area is the Seat Settings and there is also a Key Select feature for the HVAC as well.

Find a good indi shop that can program and make sure you get everything programmed at once, clown nose, DLR, auto door locks etc.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,030 Posts
Sorry for the bad link. This one works:

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

As to the question about just pressing the unlock button - I'm not sure. I just went out to my car and manually set the seats to a different position than mine then tried to use my remote to set it back by pressing the unlock button. Didn't work. It also didn't do anything if I pressed lock and then unlock. :facepalm:

Somebody with two working remote keys should try this. I'll try it after I replace the battery in my other remote key.
Based on the Car & Key Memory Settings PDF, the mirror memory only applies to the auto-tilt position in reverse for the passenger side. There's no mention of positions of both mirrors in there normal state. As far as I'm aware, the only way to recall different settings for mirror positions is to physically press a button for stored seat and mirror seatings on the seat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks jfoj.

It's clear from the Customer Selection Form:

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att1_CKMFrm.PDF

that there are three options for the seat memory. The factory default is "not active". The other two choices are seat memory is active, and the seat (and mirror) adjustment happens either when the unlock button on the remote is pressed or when the drivers door is opened.

My car used to do this. But once, about a year ago, the dealer replaced the little "deadbolt' that locks the gas cap, and after that all the memory settings were screwed up. Like the daytime driving lights were on when they hadn't been before. Go figure. I had them turn off the daytime lights but I'm betting they also set the seat memory to "inactive" and I never noticed.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,030 Posts
Thanks jfoj.

It's clear from the Customer Selection Form:

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att1_CKMFrm.PDF

that there are three options for the seat memory. The factory default is "not active". The other two choices are seat memory is active, and the seat (and mirror) adjustment happens either when the unlock button on the remote is pressed or when the drivers door is opened.

My car used to do this. But once, about a year ago, the dealer replaced the little "deadbolt' that locks the gas cap, and after that all the memory settings were screwed up. Like the daytime driving lights were on when they hadn't been before. Go figure. I had them turn off the daytime lights but I'm betting they also set the seat memory to "inactive" and I never noticed.
Where do you see anything about mirrors? Or does "seat memory" always include the mirrors?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
On the 3 series, I don't think mirror settings are saved in memory 1 2 or 3.

As others have suggested, you need to make a trip to the dealer and have them activate all of the key memory settings. I will say that the key memory system is not very reliable for whatever reason. I had it activated on my E38, and the climate controls would always gets messed up when you switched keys.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,030 Posts
On the 3 series, I don't think mirror settings are saved in memory 1 2 or 3.
They are. I have two settings saved. One for aggressive, spirited driving and one for relaxed highway cruising. Each one has it's own mirror positions and they move when the settings are recalled via the seat buttons. However, currently my mirrors don't move since I haven't transfered my ribbon motors into the M3 housings, yet.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yea mirror settings are saved.

I'm also having an issue with this though. I have two keys, one everyday key, and a spare master key. First of all, sometimes when getting in my car i notice that the right mirror is pointed either straight at the ground, or straight at the sky. I hardly use the tilt feature on the right mirror, so I leave the knob to the right. It seems as if it's storing my mirror settings, but every once in a while they get screwed up.

Also, I can't get both my keys programmed at the same time, it seems that if i program one, the other gets deleted and I have to re program it.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
The mirror issue is a bit unclear from what I have read.

There is a specific setting for the right hand mirror tilt function for parking. It is stated as "Mirror memory, automatic curb parking function"

The setting is either active or inactive.

Here is what is stated on the programming sheet:

The position for the passenger-side exterior
mirror for the automatic parking function can
be stored for each key individually.
If “active” is selected and the mirror
adjustment switch is set to “passenger-side”,
the passenger-side mirror will be
automatically moved to the pre-selected
position when in reverse gear.
To store the “pre-set” position, adjust
manually passenger–side mirror while
reverse gear is engaged.
If “active is selected and the mirror switch is
set to “driver’s-side”, the automatic parking
function is deactivated.
If “inactive” is selected and the mirror
adjustment switch is set to “drive’s-side”, the
passenger-side mirror is automatically moved
to the lowest possible position when in
reverse gear. Selecting the “passenger-side
mirror” with the adjustment switch,
deactivates the automatic parking function.

As for normal mirror position, this is something other car manufacturers have been doing for some time, however, it is not exactly clearly stated from the documentation I have looked over that storing of individual mirror positions is something that is actually done. But I need to check my e46 again, as if it is, it is probably tied to the memory seat position.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts