E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car has been having some rough idle issues for a while now and I checked for vacuum leaks and I replaced the bank 1 O2 sensors today [119k miles]. It didn't fix the rough idle, so I concluded that the MAF sensor was to blame. I unplugged it to see if I would notice a difference and indeed the idle felt smoother, but my check engine light came on and some other warning light. When I drove home the car would jump & jerk every time it shifted gears up and down; so I stopped and plugged it back in and the check engine light turned off and the jerking at every gear stopped.

There's the story; now I need to know where I should buy the Mass Air Flow sensor without spending too much money. Autohausaz has them one for $296 Auto Parts Warehouse has a couple for $133, 144, 184 and 238, and I found one on ebay that they say fits my car [and 84 other vehicles] for $54.

Has anyone else researched this or can help me out? What type of sensor do I need. Is it important to buy OEM for $300? Where else can I find an affordable Air Mass sensor?

Thank you! :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you are in CA, I would give you some information for a BMW yard. They should have it cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I just replaced; and it did not fix the rough idle :((
When I unplug the MAF the idle smooths out but installing a new MAF doesn't fix it =/ any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I just replaced; and it did not fix the rough idle :((
When I unplug the MAF the idle smooths out but installing a new MAF doesn't fix it =/ any ideas?
Did you replace the MAF sensor with a used or new one? Aftermarket or OEM?
A buddy of mind has the same problem with his Volvo and after replacing the MAF sensor he also unplugged the battery so It reset the computer and it ran fine after that. If your car runs good with the newer MAF unplugged that MAF sensor is still sending the wrong Air/Fuel reading to the engine causing it to idle like poop. Also check for Vacuum LEAK!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Although many of the members on this board (and I'm sure they have their reasons) will advise you against it, I got mine from eBay.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...1633475&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

There are some on eBay for $60 + shipping but they are coming from CHINA. The place I got mine from is located in SoCal and price was a nice $89 shipped. Reputable seller w/ nearly 8,000 positive feedback.

My logic was: "okay, if I get it and it doesn't work at least they are in the USA, let alone only a few hours from me and I can return it. If I get a $60 one it could possibly be shotty and if it doesn't work I'd have NO way to dispute/recourse with a Chinese retailer..."

Got great service (received MAF in 2 days). Looked almost identical to the stock one I replaced. Cleared my code (MAF specific malfunction code). Been in the car for about 2,000 miles now and working fine still. I'm fully aware since it's not OEM its lifespan is NOT guaranteed or even documented as far as I know, however, I needed it to pass smog and wanted it fast and cheap as I had a laundry list of other repairs to tackle as well.

As mentioned before, members have had success with the Hyandui MAF with no issues which cost about $120 - $140 online.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
found a little slit under the boot but i feel like i caused it trying to get the new maf on; ordered a new one, hope it helps

·
Registered
599 Posts
Check my post here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12988398&postcount=4

(Another member just asked a similar question). This should give you some other problem areas to investigate. Might as well make sure you can troubleshoot other areas because you will be pretty upset if you get your boot and it doesn't solve your issue.

PS. I used 2 stage epoxy and heat shrink wrap on the areas in my boot that were torn. Its held up great so far. You can maybe try this first and save money if you find other tears or weak areas in your other sections of duct work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Thanks for the post; I already ordered the boot so I might as well use it.

I had a smoke test done to check for vacuum leaks so I thought I was in the clear, but I doubt the new boot will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi guys, I've been having the same problem on my 2001 330Ci where the car is running like crap. I did the MAF test and turns out my MAF is the culprit. I did try cleaning it about 1.5 years ago and it worked "ok" with minor misfires. I started to search for a MAF and came across this thread. I was able to find OEM 330Ci MAF made by Siemens VDO for $230 through a buddy of mine and the company he works for. Of course the $230 price is not for everyone, I just got it cause my buddy works there. I'll see if he is able to sell me more at the same price If anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks
Chuck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts