• Auto

Votes: 383 35.0%
  • I dont know

Votes: 36 3.3%
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did anyone vote auto without having SMG in mind? If you voted for a steptronic I may pass out.

Honestly I prefer manual to SMG short of the E60 M5. I have driven a manual E60 M5 when it first came out (believe it was available for either 1 or 2 years here) and it was fun but not quite as composed as the SMG that it was later outfitted with.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
:rolleyes:

BMW manual transmissions aren't that great. I'm coming from 15-25 year old Volvos and I'm impressed by how crunchy the syncros are on the BMW manual boxes... how sloppy the shifter is (especially after a few years when all the bits have worn out... vs on the *old* Volvo where it was a direct linkage)... and how vague the clutch is (even without the CDV you've got a double mass flywheel, self adjusting mechanism, and that insidious hydraulically operated clutch mechanism to numb everything up).

Driving an E46 with a manual transmission doesn't make you hardcore, awesome, or make your penis any bigger. Criticizing people for buying a ZHP based on the looks is utterly ridiculous considering how many of you guys go for the 18" or 19" (or bigger) wheels for looks over function (yay extra unsprung weight).

I can think of plenty of reasons that one would want a ZHP with an auto (hey maybe it's mostly driven in stop and go traffic, but you still want a fun car for the weekend).
:facepalm: A shîtty manual transmission beats a shîtty automatic transmission any day. Just head over to the general forum and read about all the issues automatic E46s encounter. And I was not criticizing anyone personally in my explanation meant more for humor than an actual explanation. For the record my car has 17in. wheels, if you're going to criticize me personally it would be best to use something that actually applies to me instead of using a generalization about the members of this site. I know plenty about the factors that contribute to the performance of a car. Oh, and also, my last car was an automatic BMW.

·
Banned
452 Posts
I would never own a manual.
There is too much congestion where I live and I would wear out a clutch shifting in traffic.

And I would lose my patience too.

BTW /// I wanted to check no..because I don't have an auto..I have a steptronic....lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I love the manual but chose the auto beacause of the 405. Spend some time comuting in LA and the auto is the only choice. I remember reading an article interviewing Pal Tracy the famous race car driver; he had an auto BMW for his daily driver. He lived in LA at the time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
y does my e46 323i wheel shake when when 70 thru 90,, . y do i need to do to solve that problem
maybe rear trailing arm bushings (RTAB)

·
Registered
421 Posts
:facepalm: A shîtty manual transmission beats a shîtty automatic transmission any day. Just head over to the general forum and read about all the issues automatic E46s encounter. And I was not criticizing anyone personally in my explanation meant more for humor than an actual explanation. For the record my car has 17in. wheels, if you're going to criticize me personally it would be best to use something that actually applies to me instead of using a generalization about the members of this site. I know plenty about the factors that contribute to the performance of a car. Oh, and also, my last car was an automatic BMW.
Well done mate you tell him. :loco:

I drive a manual which involves a lot of clutch work through traffic; sometimes during those moments I wish I had an auto. :banghead:

But then I hit the clear stretches and remember why I love the manual. :excited:

Anyway, people who drive a Steptronic or SMG are kidding themselves into believing its a manual... the fluid in the tranny clearly reads ATF [Auto Trans Fluid] theres your answer. Of course, this is just my opinion. :rofl:

Manual is lovely but SMG does have the benefit of quicker gear changes, and most importantly.... Saves your left shoe from looking like a weathered crocodile before the right shoe has even had a chance to wear in.

AGAIN> Just my OPINION.

·
Registered
14 Posts
automatic is a good way to ruin a perfectly good car.

·
:D
7,717 Posts
Real cars have 3 pedals :)
Manual all the way

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
:D
7,717 Posts
How do you know if it is manual or auto?
Hmm... This is a thinker. You just guess I suppose :shrug: no wait auto transmission cars have the word "auto" under the carpet behind the passengers seat. Take your car apart to find out :) rofl

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

61 - 80 of 97 Posts