Votes: 383 35.0%
  • I dont know

Votes: 36 3.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts
Interesting... my car started it's life with an auto tranny but now has a manual tranny. Should I vote based on what the original tranny was or what the current tranny is? :D

Manual tranny, FTW. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
let's look at all the cars I've owned

1994 Ford Probe - manual
1995 BMW 318ti - manual
1996 Subaru Legacy - auto
1997 Subaru Impreza - manual
1998 Subaru Outback - manual
2004 BMW 325xi - manual
1984 BMW 318i - manual

see the bias? :D parents bought me the Legacy, so it doesn't count :shhh:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Interesting... my car started it's life with an auto tranny but now has a manual tranny. Should I vote based on what the original tranny was or what the current tranny is? :D

I suggest voting for what you car has a a current tranny :4ngie:

·
Banned
3,008 Posts
comparing women to cars... a 3 peddle car is like a wife with 3 holes and a 2 peddle car is like a divorce waiting to happen :yikes: If it doesn't have 3 peddles it's not a bmw :lmao: just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts

I suggest voting for what you car has a a current tranny :4ngie:
Thanks for the clarification... I voted MANUAL. :woot:

The first cars I drove after learning how to drive were all 4spd manuals then eventually I drove a Honda Accord with an auto and then got my 323i with the steptronic/auto tranny when I bought it new back in 2000. Reason why I chose the auto tranny was because I was single at the time and wasn't sure if my future wife would know or want to learn to drive a manual, but sure enough the woman of my dreams whom I married a few years later knew how to drive a manual so my thoughtful consideration for my future wife backfired on me, lol.

The main reason why I'll never drive another BMW with an auto tranny is because of the dreaded reverse gear failure I experienced... rather than putting in another auto tranny only to have that potentially fail later on, I made the smart move and did the manual tranny swap... best decision I ever made especially given the sentimental value of my car and how I plan on keeping it forever and passing it down to my kids/grandkids someday. :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Why would anyone buy a ZHP in auto?
Because when you take your trophy wife in to buy her new BMW she is going to want as many options as you can afford, even if she doesn't know what they are. So lets get the one with the pretty bumpers and the "performance package" so we can drive to the spa like a "racecar driver"! But we don't want to do any of that shifting business, no that makes us look too common, plus we don't know how to do that anyways.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Because when you take your trophy wife in to buy her new BMW she is going to want as many options as you can afford, even if she doesn't know what they are. So lets get the one with the pretty bumpers and the "performance package" so we can drive to the spa like a "racecar driver"! But we don't want to do any of that shifting business, no that makes us look too common, plus we don't know how to do that anyways.
:rolleyes:

BMW manual transmissions aren't that great. I'm coming from 15-25 year old Volvos and I'm impressed by how crunchy the syncros are on the BMW manual boxes... how sloppy the shifter is (especially after a few years when all the bits have worn out... vs on the *old* Volvo where it was a direct linkage)... and how vague the clutch is (even without the CDV you've got a double mass flywheel, self adjusting mechanism, and that insidious hydraulically operated clutch mechanism to numb everything up).

Driving an E46 with a manual transmission doesn't make you hardcore, awesome, or make your penis any bigger. Criticizing people for buying a ZHP based on the looks is utterly ridiculous considering how many of you guys go for the 18" or 19" (or bigger) wheels for looks over function (yay extra unsprung weight).

I can think of plenty of reasons that one would want a ZHP with an auto (hey maybe it's mostly driven in stop and go traffic, but you still want a fun car for the weekend).

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i'm going to guess most people have auto

41 - 60 of 97 Posts