E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive got a 2003 325xi Touring with a 5-speed in Greygreen metalic paint. As of now its bone stock besides a resonator delete and BMW roof racks. (will be putting headers on soon. Ill be making a DIY as I havent found any on installing headers on an XI) Anyway, manual XI wagons are pretty rare, I just wanted to see pics of what other people's rides and maybe a list of mods. Even if its not a touring, still post!

heres mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a New York car (with the cold weather package) but soon after it was purchased the original owner moved down south. If it stayed in NY it'd deffinently have some rust!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Okay, so you're exploring how secret ponies may be unlocked. The engineers made an optimized performer from the factory with little room to enhance with simple bolt-ons but there is a way to pep her up. Headers are not popular alone as they offer very small HP gains.

You can chip it, install performance cams, bolt up a trick intake and throttle body, add fat injectors to enhance your super charger, blast a tasty tone through your new headers with a high flow exhaust solution that certainly will impress your friends.

A quick visit to your local dyno shop where you meet with your tuning consultant (flown in from Germany) and three hours later you're dialed in. This will yield an honest 35 HP gain at 5,300 RPM. The unfortunate part is the conservative cost estimate comes in at $15K. Hey, that German consultant is spendy!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1 for an XI headers DIY!

My only deterrent for new headers (besides the PITA diy) is the emissions/SES issue. I'm in northern VA where emissions standards are pretty high and I have no way to confirm I'd pass the emissions test.

I've heard from one person that to avoid a potential SES light (besides an O2 simulator), you can throw on European software that will ignore the two post-cat O2 sensors. Can anyone else speak to that?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I plan on using euro3 DME tune to eliminate the ses light. The software perform a DME flash is relativley cheap and there is a decent performance gain. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
No go on the headers. I was willing to brave the install and even the DME reflash to european specs (I'd still like to reflash the DME to something else) but the need to buy and weld in new cats in order to pass the local emissions test makes the whole affair too rich for my blood. Maybe if I can find racing cats on the cheap and get my buddy to weld them in for free...but until then, no headers for my xi...

·
Registered
445 Posts
if you have your own code reader and your state doesn't have a sniffer you can clear your codes in their parking lot, drive up, take the test, pass and the light won't even come on until after a couple miles of driving. Worked for me

·
Registered
126 Posts
rear wheel well where it meets the rear bumper.
rear door sills where they weld the front and rear part of the car together.
front wheel well where it meets the side skirt.
hood where it meets the head lights.
the piece between the trunk lid and bumper.
Exactly the same for me, just substitute your last one for the hatch gap just below the rear glass :tsk:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.