E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of searching for a transmission
for a tranny swap. Currently i have a 2002 325i steptronic.
I found a used six speed from a 2004 330i.
Should i have any problems with the six speed
and putting that into my car? Also what should I lookout for in terms of a used transmission? mileage on the tranny is 15k. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
With all that your going to spend. your better off just keeping it the way it is and buy a stick car next time.. you'll probably be switching to a newer car in like 3 years anyway..

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nyuaznguy said:
With all that your going to spend. your better off just keeping it the way it is and buy a stick car next time.. you'll probably be switching to a newer car in like 3 years anyway..
Well i own the car and i have quite a bit of stuff on it so i dont see myself selling it for quite awhile. I was going to get a zhp last yr but the diff betw trade in and a new one was 17k. I didnt bother because 1) difference in money and 2) i don't want to go thru the trouble of parting out.
I figure the price for the 6-speed is ~1500, labor ~1200 and other misc parts will run me in total ~3500.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am thinkin about doin this too....but all the little parts and electronics kinda scare me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you can open up a cover to see the inside, check the synco rings to see if it has been chipped/grinded. I also agree that buying another e46 seem to be more easier and less costly.

You will need along with the 6-speed:
Clutch/brake pedal assembly
Hyd clutch system
bellhousing
flywheel
clutch fork/disc/pp/tb..trans mount...etc..
shifter
and maybe a different starter
don't know if the driveshaft and yoke is the same neither.

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K:^P said:
If you can open up a cover to see the inside, check the synco rings to see if it has been chipped/grinded. I also agree that buying another e46 seem to be more easier and less costly.

You will need along with the 6-speed:
Clutch/brake pedal assembly
Hyd clutch system
bellhousing
flywheel
clutch fork/disc/pp/tb..trans mount...etc..
shifter
and maybe a different starter
don't know if the driveshaft and yoke is the same neither.

Thanks, will do on the synchro rings.
and thanks for the parts list! :thumbup:
I am taking it to a shop that have already converted a step to manual (5 speed though).

I am pretty sure i will get a short shifter kit and light flywheel.
anyone know of a good aftermarket clutch? my brother has the racing clutch from AA and i plan to do either an engine swap or a supercharger (more likely).

·
Banned
7,994 Posts
itchyNscratchy said:
Thanks, will do on the synchro rings.
and thanks for the parts list! :thumbup:
I am taking it to a shop that have already converted a step to manual (5 speed though).

I am pretty sure i will get a short shifter kit and light flywheel.
anyone know of a good aftermarket clutch? my brother has the racing clutch from AA and i plan to do either an engine swap or a supercharger (more likely).
I beleive UUC is working on a lightweight flywheel and HD clutch for the 6 speeds...

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vaio76109 said:
I beleive UUC is working on a lightweight flywheel and HD clutch for the 6 speeds...

I think rogue has a lightweight flywheel...although its for 3.0 engine
and 6 speed. i think its compatible with my 2.5L unless i am wrong.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't want to sound like an ******* but why don't you just trade-in your 325 auto for a used 330ci 5 speed .
It would be worth it in the long run. Your just throwing you money away doing this conversion

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FrankieFlamez said:
I don't want to sound like an ******* but why don't you just trade-in your 325 auto for a used 330ci 5 speed .
It would be worth it in the long run. Your just throwing you money away doing this conversion
i don't think you sound like an *******
I think its a very good question but nyuaznguy
already posed the question earlier.
I dont want to go thru the hassle of parting my car out,
it will be costly to pay ppl to take out parts and to reinstall
them back into another car. Also as stupid as it sounds i am attached to my car. I've had it for almost 30k and knock on wood, no problems whatsoever with it. The last thing i want is a used car and not knowing the history of the car, whether the previous owner took care of it, etc. I also doubt i will do the engine swap since it sounds like a big headache. I will probably go the Forced induction route if i can save some cash.

PS i wouldnt get a CI, i luv the 4 doors ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
itchyNscratchy said:
i don't think you sound like an *******
I think its a very good question but nyuaznguy
already posed the question earlier.
I dont want to go thru the hassle of parting my car out,
it will be costly to pay ppl to take out parts and to reinstall
them back into another car. Also as stupid as it sounds i am attached to my car. I've had it for almost 30k and knock on wood, no problems whatsoever with it. The last thing i want is a used car and not knowing the history of the car, whether the previous owner took care of it, etc. I also doubt i will do the engine swap since it sounds like a big headache. I will probably go the Forced induction route if i can save some cash.

PS i wouldnt get a CI, i luv the 4 doors ;)

About being attached to car - I know exactly what you mean.
I have a 1995 oldsmobile delta 88 that I bought when I was 17, I still use it as a second car for the winter and take care of it just as well if not better than my 330ci. Whatever route you go I wish you the best - Also forced induction Sounds like a great idea :thumbup:

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FrankieFlamez said:
About being attached to car - I know exactly what you mean.
I have a 1995 oldsmobile delta 88 that I bought when I was 17, I still use it as a second car for the winter and take care of it just as well if not better than my 330ci. Whatever route you go I wish you the best - Also forced induction Sounds like a great idea :thumbup:
Man i had an oldsmobile and those things haul @ss good luck with that!
and thanks for the well wishes! :thumbup:

take care

·
Para-Magic
636 Posts
dude keep me in the loop

i am doing the same thing, except i am putting a 5 speed in. I'm pretty sure you need a different drive shaft. If you get a complete list of parts needed please forward it to me.

jamie

·
Registered
771 Posts
Since it sounds like you have to get the driveshaft shortened, you might want to consider getting a lightweght driveshaft from the driveshaft shop in islandia. They have this new technology that "welds" an aluminum shaft to cast iron yokes, I think they originally developed it for the S2000 but I'm sure they could do the same for the E46.
Might be worth looking into.

Their site is not the greatest but they make great driveshafts and are very helpful and cool people as well.

-Jer

·
Help me Help you!
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Griptruk said:
Since it sounds like you have to get the driveshaft shortened, you might want to consider getting a lightweght driveshaft from the driveshaft shop in islandia. They have this new technology that "welds" an aluminum shaft to cast iron yokes, I think they originally developed it for the S2000 but I'm sure they could do the same for the E46.
Might be worth looking into.

Their site is not the greatest but they make great driveshafts and are very helpful and cool people as well.

-Jer

Cool, i will definitely look into it. I assume it will keep more power from the crank to the wheel. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts