E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a manual transmission car, should the car not stall if the foot is completely off the gas and the clutch in 1 or 2nd gear at very very slow speeds? The car should not be cruising forward at a constant speed, right?

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
At very very low speeds, the car will definitely stall if you take your foot completely off the gas and clutch in gears 1 or 2. If you're at least rolling along with some speed though, it's okay.

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,355 Posts
e46driver said:
On a manual transmission car, should the car not stall if the foot is completely off the gas and the clutch in 1 or 2nd gear at very very slow speeds? The car should not be cruising forward at a constant speed, right?
At times, with my foot completely off the gas and in the lower 2 gears, my M3 will cruise at a constant speed, and sometimes seem to speed up! It's done this to me a number of times!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what i can't figure out. If this is by design or something is wrong with my throttle. Lately I've been getting a "sticky" feel to my pedal. Most of problems with this "sticky" pedal is due to the 2001+ electronic pedal assembly. But on mine, a throttle cable is attached to a lever that is attached to my pedal so it shouldn't be the pedal itself. This morning I realize that the car will cruise even with the foot of the gas and clutch. I found that kinda weird since I've never noticed it. And what i found interesting is that without pressure on the gas or clutch, the car went up my parking garage ramp in 1st and it appeared to gave itself more gas as it neared the top.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the newer engine management systems, cars will cruise at a constant speed with tranny engaged in first and no foot on the gas. I even get it to work in second this way. This is not unique to BMW.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roose said:
With the newer engine management systems, cars will cruise at a constant speed with tranny engaged in first and no foot on the gas. I even get it to work in second this way. This is not unique to BMW.
Hmm...k...

earlier i was able to start the car moving from a complete stop by slowly letting go of the clutch and with my foot completely off the gas. I don't remember if this was the case when i first got the car in 2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts