BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 330ci ZHP....and I can take it out of gear without pressing on the clutch. It comes out fairly easily without pressing on the clutch. What could be the problem? Also the clutch squeaks when I press it down. Also sometimes it will not go into gear when I press on the clutch when I am fully stopped. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
I have a 2004 330ci ZHP....and I can take it out of gear without pressing on the clutch. It comes out fairly easily without pressing on the clutch. What could be the problem? Also the clutch squeaks when I press it down. Also sometimes it will not go into gear when I press on the clutch when I am fully stopped. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
do you have an auto or stick?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
this is completly normal it is just characteristics of the transmission. dont be worried unless it goes into gear without the clutch

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Your first concern is normal, but on the second, the squeaks - that could be early signs of clutch going out! Get it checked out by an indy or something.

·
Registered
336 Posts
lol i remember when a drunk chick friend of mine who was sitting
in the passenger seat shifted from 3rd to 4th when i was just cruising
and i was like WAT THE!

·
Registered
158 Posts
if there is no load on the tranny (car isn't accelerating or decelerating), you can take it out of gear without using the clutch. I do it all the time.

And if you can match rpm's, you can put the car into gear without using the clutch. If you are really good at this, you only need to use the clutch to get the car into first gear when it is stopped. I don't know why you would really want to do this, but you can.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will this cause any premature wearing of the tranny? Also the gears locking up, could that be due to syncros? thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
will this cause any premature wearing of the tranny? Also the gears locking up, could that be due to syncros? thanks
Occasionally happens on my car too. People here and the dealer say it's the synchros and nothing to worry about.

·
The De46vil's Army
20,206 Posts
service bulletin!

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol i remember when a drunk chick friend of mine who was sitting
in the passenger seat shifted from 3rd to 4th when i was just cruising
and i was like WAT THE!
what are you doin lettin a drunk chick touch ur shift knob?

·
Registered
434 Posts
if there is no load on the tranny (car isn't accelerating or decelerating), you can take it out of gear without using the clutch. I do it all the time.

And if you can match rpm's, you can put the car into gear without using the clutch. If you are really good at this, you only need to use the clutch to get the car into first gear when it is stopped. I don't know why you would really want to do this, but you can.
tru dat - I have only up shifted once w/o the clutch- very nerve racking :yikes:....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts