E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Is there anyone converted manual softtop to Auto ?

I am searching this for than a year but couldnt see any example nor how to do it.

Is it possible ? What do you think guys.

below is my car, thanks.

8366F95B-EAD9-4AE7-865D-7E0F7D831E96.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
Never heard it done, but having taken apart a soft top completely, I would say that as long as the latch points on the top of your windshield are the same as the automatic top, it is doable. The only way I would even consider it is with either a donor car or a car at a pick n pull. You would need:
1. An entire top (get 2003 or later) including the harness and the hydraulics. The hydraulics disconnect at the driver side under the cover lid.
2. Hydro pump and harness (trunk)
3. Trunk side carpet panel
4. Hydro lines from pump to the roof storage area (make sure to get the case for the junction)
5. Harness from the console area to the fusebox/GM5 and back to the CVM
6. Harness from the CVM to the latches, roof harness, lid latch motor and the hydro pump, including the mounting brackets for the connectors
7. CVM (behind the passenger rear side panel)
8. Lid latch motor (under the back seat)
9. Lid latch Bowden cables (go from the lid motor to the lid latches)
10. Lid latches right and left (should be attached to the roof hinges)
11. Appropriate switch for the console to control the roof. Note that there are many varieties based on whether you have DSC, heated seats, auto roof, and/or HK sound button.

If you find a fresh vert at a PnP, you could probably get all the parts for $4-500. I have a latch motor for sale, but the rest of the parts sell pretty fast.

I would not try to run all the sensors and hydraulics in your existing roof unless you find deep joy in suffering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard it done, but having taken apart a soft top completely, I would say that as long as the latch points on the top of your windshield are the same as the automatic top, it is doable. The only way I would even consider it is with either a donor car or a car at a pick n pull. You would need:
1. An entire top (get 2003 or later) including the harness and the hydraulics. The hydraulics disconnect at the driver side under the cover lid.
2. Hydro pump and harness (trunk)
3. Trunk side carpet panel
4. Hydro lines from pump to the roof storage area (make sure to get the case for the junction)
5. Harness from the console area to the fusebox/GM5 and back to the CVM
6. Harness from the CVM to the latches, roof harness, lid latch motor and the hydro pump, including the mounting brackets for the connectors
7. CVM (behind the passenger rear side panel)
8. Lid latch motor (under the back seat)
9. Lid latch Bowden cables (go from the lid motor to the lid latches)
10. Lid latches right and left (should be attached to the roof hinges)
11. Appropriate switch for the console to control the roof. Note that there are many varieties based on whether you have DSC, heated seats, auto roof, and/or HK sound button.

If you find a fresh vert at a PnP, you could probably get all the parts for $4-500. I have a latch motor for sale, but the rest of the parts sell pretty fast.

I would not try to run all the sensors and hydraulics in your existing roof unless you find deep joy in suffering.
Thank you very much for explanation, I got everything already from a donor car, and all the things you listed are already installed on my car, but couldnt make it work.

all the steps except 5 and 6 are done.

I have all the harness from the donor car but first I need to find how to seperate them, and install, If it works I think it would be the one of the first examples.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extremely cost prohibitive. I don't think you could even get the parts for less than $2500. That's just my opinion.
I got all the parts including harness for about 1100 USD

here in my country e46 convertible starts from 17,000 USD, if you compare with the value its a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
You probably need to code the car for it using NCSExpert to add the feature. I suspect the gm5 needs to recognize the cvm.

starting point would be inpa to see if you can talk to the cvm module

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You probably need to code the car for it using NCSExpert to add the feature. I suspect the gm5 needs to recognize the cvm.

starting point would be inpa to see if you can talk to the cvm module
hope we can do the proper wiring , afterwards I will try inpa and ncsexpert thanks for the help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wait there was manual tops for e46 verts?

Reactions: PowerS54

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
Extremely cost prohibitive. I don't think you could even get the parts for less than $2500. That's just my opinion.
I buy and sell vert parts, so I have a sense for the cost.

If you bought the parts individually (and I don't know who would even sell the harness), it would be $1,500 or higher.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
RealOEM shows a Manual Top for all years. Rare to find one but they do exist.
Ok, I get that I was wrong but it feels like you all are just piling on now. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts