E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, this is my first post and I would appreciate if someone can slove my problem
I have a 2001 bmw 330ci manual, I have just got it out of the mechanic shop for a new clutch replacement, when I first received the car I tried to put it into first gear but It really really hard to engage (when I keep pushing the shifter to first gear while flooring the clutch the car will start rolling without it even being in first gear) and its only hard to engage only with reverse, first and second gear ( third, forth and fith gear are still hard but it's possible since the car is rolling)
The clutch Pedel is really loose half way then it will get harder, so the only way to get it in first gear is by turning off the car then shifting it into first easily then start the car, another problem is if I have the car in first gear while the car stopped and I'm flooring the clutch all the way, the car will start rolling forward even tho the clutch pedal is floored.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I have just got it out of the mechanic shop for a new clutch replacement,
The mechanic is your best friend and the work was free? Have you asked them to fix this?
if I have the car in first gear while the car stopped and I'm flooring the clutch all the way, the car will start rolling forward even tho the clutch pedal is floored.
Problem: clutch didn't disengage with clutch pedal down to floor. Air in the hydraulic hose.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Make sure the brake fluid's full.

With the engine off, pump the clutch pedal really fast about 100 times.
Then try again. If that doesn't fix it,

Take back to mechanic.

Have mechanic bleed clutch properly this time.

Yeah, don't force it. You're just killing it.

t

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Bring it back.
STOP trying to get first gear until it's fixed. Your killing the Synchromesh!
This. It should never have been returned to you in that state. Whether there's air in the system (clutch hydraulics shouldn't even be opened up to replace the clutch), the slave cylinder isn't installed properly, or there's a clutch fork/release bearing issue, the car was there for a clutch. It better work right or the job isn't done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clutch wasn't bled properly which is why the pedal has zero resistance for half the travel. Basically means the clutch is only partially disengaged and hence why it's hard to get into gear. Fingers crossed the new slave cylinder is the correct one too otherwise that'll be a PITA the sort out.

oh, and don't drive it like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts