BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

I recently discovered that in any gear when I gun my e46 (M52Tub20) to the redline, I can't change gears at all.
The clutch pedal automatically softens and I'm stuck costing in neutral.

The car won't go into gear until I switch it off and put it in first, the clutch slowly regains pressure and operates as per usual. There is no slip of the clutch.

Please advise

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
It sounds like the pressure plate is bad -- at high rpm centripetal force pulled some worn or loose parts outward and locked the PP up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the pressure plate is bad -- at high rpm centripetal force pulled some worn or loose parts outward and locked the PP up.
Thanks for the response. I think by the end of this month I need to take it into the mechanics. a part of me almost felt that it was something hydraulic but what you are saying makes a lot of sense

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are many factors that influence when it is "best" to shift.

rsuiskly give good advice. For example, going uphill will mean higher shift points, as will a fully-loaded vehicle.

The steps between each gear are different. So that an equally-timed shift from 4th to 5th results in different engagement point than a shift from 2nd to 3rd.

But here's the thing: driving a standard is a kinesthetic experience rather than an analytical one. That is, it is "feeling" more than"thinking". If you are having to do the math in your head about where to engage/disengage the clutch, you'll need a pretty fast calculator.

FaceTime App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are many factors that influence when it is "best" to shift.

rsuiskly give good advice. For example, going uphill will mean higher shift points, as will a fully-loaded vehicle.

The steps between each gear are different. So that an equally-timed shift from 4th to 5th results in different engagement point than a shift from 2nd to 3rd.

But here's the thing: driving a standard is a kinesthetic experience rather than an analytical one. That is, it is "feeling" more than"thinking". If you are having to do the math in your head about where to engage/disengage the clutch, you'll need a pretty fast calculator.

Thankfully it's not too much thinking . It just feels like I'm driving a 3 cylinder because I have to shift around 3.5-4k to avoid the issue of not being able to shift.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
+1- I've had a failure go either way-
once it wouldn't DISENGAGE over 3500,
the other it started to slip- but only over about 4500.

One was broken straps holding the friction plate centered in the housing,
the other was a broken friction surface (!!!)

So, yeah, sorry, but it sure sounds like a mechanical failure inside the bellhousing.

t

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1- I've had a failure go either way-
once it wouldn't DISENGAGE over 3500,
the other it started to slip- but only over about 4500.

One was broken straps holding the friction plate centered in the housing,
the other was a broken friction surface (!!!)

So, yeah, sorry, but it sure sounds like a mechanical failure inside the bellhousing.

t
Thanks so much for the reply.
It genuinely sounds like you have experienced the same issue.

It's one of the worst feelings in the world trying to pass someone and not being able to select a gear.

I'm gonna start saving for the shop to have a look. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
HI all

I recently discovered that in any gear when I gun my e46 (M52Tub20) to the redline, I can't change gears at all.
The clutch pedal automatically softens and I'm stuck costing in neutral.

The car won't go into gear until I switch it off and put it in first, the clutch slowly regains pressure and operates as per usual. There is no slip of the clutch.

Please advise
Sticky clutch? Can happen if you have a build up of burned oil on the clutch plate and pressure plate.
Causing the clutch to not fully disengage. Rear crankshaft oil seal leaking is the main reason. New clutch assembly
and rear seal is the cure. If that's your problem.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Sticky clutch? Can happen if you have a build up of burned oil on the clutch plate and pressure plate.
Causing the clutch to not fully disengage. Rear crankshaft oil seal leaking is the main reason. New clutch assembly
and rear seal is the cure. If that's your problem.
How do you explain it is only sticky at high rpm? You should patent this high rpm glue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts