BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically the intake and DISA system is the biggest difference between the 325/328 N52 and the 2006 330i N55 with 255 hp. This is about a 2 hour job and the parts cost at least $1000, but that might be easier than other modifications, like supercharging, and this uses almost all OEM parts except for the chip tuning.

Here is a link to a pricey kit from Turner Motorsports with a fairly good write up on the mod:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...-software-upgrade-for-128i325i328i528iz4.aspx

The Roundel article I read said it was done for about $1000, and they added BMW Performance airbox and intake for $1800, and also 335i brakes for $1300, a total of $4100 with owner labor probably being used in those numbers. That's a fairly hefty investment, but one that could be spread out and to avoid spending so much at one time, like I would do the brakes when my current brakes are done.

Has anyone ever done this here? I would be interested in hearing about how it was done, the cost, and whether this was a DIY or indy mechanic job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i took my time sourcing parts and found:
-used 3 stage with disa's for $300
-used 335i brakes with new discs and pads for ~ $800 + $100 or so to make the parking brake work
-AA tune w/simon and exhaust package for $950

so for around $2250 and all my own labor.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
avocet,

That sounds like the E91 wagon in FL that was written up in a Roundel column.

Was is money well spent?

Where did you find a used 330i intake with disa's?

How difficult was it to DIY on the intake? Are you a full time mechanic or just a weekend mechanic?

I presume it starts and runs OK after install, but the chip and tune probably get the most out of it.

Any pics of the install or the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
avocet,

That sounds like the E91 wagon in FL that was written up in a Roundel column.
I think that wagon is on e90post... in fact he might have even done the ess supercharger!
Was is money well spent?
Absolutely. It totally changes the nature of the car. The tune alone is worth it for the increased throttle response and with both the 3 stage and tune this thing loves going to redline.
Where did you find a used 330i intake with disa's?
I found my manifold on c-list. There seems to be a few popping up on ebay and on forum classifieds... And I think there is a network of wreckers that uses the web to database parts. Never used it before but have heard of guys getting pretty solid deals.
How difficult was it to DIY on the intake? Are you a full time mechanic or just a weekend mechanic?
Doing the manifold isn't too difficult. I work in the aviation field, but wrenching is wrenching. I would say this is easily carried out by a competent backyard mechanic. I used a DIY from one of the z4 forums. A little different with the plastic and cowls but the basics are the same. Found here:http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455180
I presume it starts and runs OK after install, but the chip and tune probably get the most out of it.
I initially had it running with just a BMS powerbox and found the 3 stage a definite change from just the BMS. I also had a pretty big flat spot during the first stage transition. After the AA tune the dip got was worse, but after several adaptation resets it settled itself down for some reason and has been an absolute blast.
Any pics of the install or the car?
No pics during install, but under hood looks stock. I also have AA headers and M3 trans mounts with a bmw performance short shift kit. We don't get n54/55 power, but this thing is pretty close to being perfect. AKG engine mounts are in the mail-can't wait!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Avocet, that is very helpful info. Looks like an all day job, at least for me, the slow, plodding, check every thing twice shade tree mechanic. But it is nice knowing that it is basically plug and play and then head to the dyno with a new chip.

I would like headers and a cat back exhaust someday, but in NY, eliminating the pre cats in the stock headers could be an issue in passing annual emissions tests. I figure I will go to one of those shops that does custom exhausts and state inspections and have them do the whole thing with new performance cats. I don't want it too noisy as exhaust noise tends to resonate more in a wagon.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
main parts to get to do the swap:

11617559523 Intake Manifold
11617579114 Adjustor Unit
11617560538 Adjustor Unit 2
11617547242 Gasket set (new is only $15+)

Used manifold with adjustors can cost a little as $200, so very little if used parts are used. There is a chip and maybe a dyno tune needed to get the full 260 hp potential of this.

Page 7 of that forum shows a video of how to do it on a Z4:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455180&page=7

I am going to start looking for these parts.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found out the engine blown is a E60 530, and the parts car is a 325, so he will need his three stage intake to put on the parts car engine. But if that engine turns out to be bad, he will buy a 330 or 530 engine and in that case, he would have a three stage intake to sell, and he has my number.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked my car up after making this mod. Picked up a used manifold for $100, both the new DISAs for $559 from ECS Tuning, miscellaneous gaskets for $28, bought a cat back exhaust with Magniflow muffler for $631, plus manifold installation labor and ECU reflash including a chip tune and diagnostic software and cable for my laptop for $1195. About $2500 and now have about 270 hp, maybe more. It accelerates effortlessly to 70 mph before you know it. Great mod!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes every little bit helps but $1000+ for an average of 40 horses? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather put that money down on a 335 and do a tune

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you DIY on the manifold install you can lower the cost by $225 to $350. I wanted it done faster than I could have completed it, especially once I had accumulated all of the parts.

You cannot get a 335 in a wagon or hatchback with manual shift. 335s are a lot more complex and more maintenance and repairs than a 328. How much do new turbos cost if they are not in warranty? There is not much you can do other than supercharging or turbos that will add over 40 hp on a 325/328. That's about $63 per hp. A Dinan chip tune for an F30 is about $1200 for 60 hp and a lot more efficient, but a chip does not boost a naturally aspirated engine as much. An AFE intake for $475, if it gets 12 hp which I doubt because I have one, is $40 / hp.

Lots of enthusiasts are spending more per hp for headers, exhausts and CAI air boxes, and together those are only 25 hp or less. Most header installs that I have seen are noisy and illegal in NY without cats, however I understand you can pass state inspections in NY and CT with "1 fault", which surprises me.

There is also a diagnostic tool buried in there. You have to have an ECU flash in this deal, which can be $500 alone. My dealer wanted $165 an hour to do that, a minimum of 2 hours and up to 17 hours, which I refused. I understand the E90 software and the BMW servers are slow and if they time out before the new program is loaded, they have to start all over and that time gets charged out. The least expensive ECU flash I have seen is Turner Motorsports at $390 plus shipping to and from. I feel more comfortable with someone handing me the keys to my operating car with the chip done.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a better analysis of the mods I have done:

AFE CAI plus some spare parts: 5 hp @ $318 = 64/hp
Used 3 stage manifold installed (25 hp), two new DISA valves, gaskets & screws, ECU reflash, chip tune (20 hp), plus ESS diagnostic software for laptop: 45 hp @ $1819 = $40/hp.
Magnaflow performance muffler, resonator, and cat back exhaust, estimated reduced weight at least 10 pounds: 5 hp at $761 for $152 / hp.

These are hp estimates. Someday I will put it on a dyno and get more precise numbers. The intake is definitely worthwhile. The CAI and exhaust are desirable, but not as cost efficient as the intake.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Even though each hp gain costs more money on an NA motor, there are some advantages that some people prefer. The faster and more linear power makes puttering around town a lot better than sitting there waiting for turbo lag. Even though a nearly stock 335i has almost no lag, tuned/upgraded twins it'll have a very slight bit, and big singles will have more. And the only advantage the turbo has on price is the initial tune, which is about $500 for 70-100 hp, after that hp gain/$ isn't that much different from NA motors. Then further in the future, turbo maintenance usually costs more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts