E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think %90 of the sound is from the filter itself. Box slightly mutes the hissing sound. Most people dont like the hissing sound that occurs near 3000 rpm. I like it. If you cover the top of the box that goes away too but you loose a little bit of the monster sound as well.

Good thing is sound is only loud during full throttle acceleration, it sounds close to stock during highway cruising.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did this over the weekend. i think it sounds preety nice... and i think it feels a lttle faster in higher RPMs... i havnt made a heatsheild yet cuz i couldnt find galvanized steel at any home depot... ill take some pix...

·
Registered
447 Posts
they dont have the steel at home depot in most places, like where I live, you have to go to lowes....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They should have them. I found it it the heating/ducting iasle. It is the section where they have those metal tubes and panels for creating ducting work. They were on the lowest shelf. Large rectangle piece with one side folded in. I think they are for making custom ducting pieces.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ill look again...i hope the heat shield doesnt muffle the sound too much...i really like the sound it makes when u accelarate...and it doesnt seem like the gas needle runs down as fast as it used to and i definately feel the umph when i step on the peddal especially in the higher rpm range. ill post the pix when i finish the shield..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made a similar fiberglass heatsheild and intake for my 04 330ci zhp and I got a CEL a few days later. When I went back to stock and cleared the code it didn't come back. When I first put in the intake set up I reset the computer thinking that would give the computer a fresh sample of the air it would get and prevent the CEL. I went back to the homemade set up yesterday and am just living with the CEL because it doesn't affect anything. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions for me? Anyone else run into this problem? Oh yeah, the code is saying either MAF or O2 - which I anticipated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice heat shield looks good, i made mine out of a cardboard template and fiberglass made a big diff. from stand still, not sucking hot air anymore. also used 3" tubing to direct air flow on to the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
did you move/bend the part b4 the MAF?

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can get the 90 deg bend at an auto part store, I went with a 60 deg, it fits better with tthe adaptive headlights. But either way I thnk it would be a better choice. They come chrome, but of course are paintable to flat black if you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
All of the majour auto part stores where I live don't carry just the pipes (I live near Toronto) anyone else have anyother ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just got 4 stiches from doing this lol. But its still not done. I have a few questions though. 1. I paid $23 for the steel at home depot, did i get the right kind ( galvonized steel )? 2. My freind used the foam insulation tubing and it melted, what material do you recomend?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just got 4 stiches from doing this lol. But its still not done. I have a few questions though. 1. I paid $23 for the steel at home depot, did i get the right kind ( galvonized steel )? 2. My freind used the foam insulation tubing and it melted, what material do you recomend?
yea if its galvanized steel flat sheet than you got the right stuff but i only paid 10$ for a 2 foot by 3foot sheet, i sliced my hand like 4 or 5 times when i did this also...im using rubber tubing for insulation and it looks like its doing fine....

21 - 40 of 42 Posts