E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Good Sh*t. im gonna do this and ill have B4, during, and after pix.

how does it sound compared to the stock box?

· Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, but I still think its restrictive. Let us know how the car is running.
cant be much more restrictive than the stock box, dont you think? Im definatly doing this this weekend, ill take pix and let u guys know how it sounds/feels etc.

· Registered
269 Posts
I did this over the weekend. i think it sounds preety nice... and i think it feels a lttle faster in higher RPMs... i havnt made a heatsheild yet cuz i couldnt find galvanized steel at any home depot... ill take some pix...

· Registered
269 Posts
ill look again...i hope the heat shield doesnt muffle the sound too much...i really like the sound it makes when u accelarate...and it doesnt seem like the gas needle runs down as fast as it used to and i definately feel the umph when i step on the peddal especially in the higher rpm range. ill post the pix when i finish the shield..

· Registered
269 Posts
I just got 4 stiches from doing this lol. But its still not done. I have a few questions though. 1. I paid $23 for the steel at home depot, did i get the right kind ( galvonized steel )? 2. My freind used the foam insulation tubing and it melted, what material do you recomend?
yea if its galvanized steel flat sheet than you got the right stuff but i only paid 10$ for a 2 foot by 3foot sheet, i sliced my hand like 4 or 5 times when i did this also...im using rubber tubing for insulation and it looks like its doing fine....

· Registered
269 Posts
would fiberglass keep the heat out?

and does the bend matter? ive seen a straight one.. 60 degree.. 90 degree.. ect.. which would work best?
im not sure how good fiberglass would keep heat out...they way i did mine keeps heat out like a masterpiece, after a long trip i put a hand on both sides of the shield and the temp difference is insane! the filter side is nice, cool and fresh, and the engine side is almost too hot to touch...

and i dont think that the bend matters that much, because think of the OEM airbox... the air comes in makes a 90 turn towards the bottom then makes another 90 degree turn up and through the filter then finds its way into the MAF...im thinking any sort of bend is more efficient than the stock airboxes...

hes a link to my creation...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470682

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.