BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Parts from HomeDepot

One sheet - 24 In. x 36 In. Galvanized Steel Flat Sheet ($5-10)
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddkgdlkfilcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3573&pos=n05

Single roll of insulation material(Sticky rubber on one side and aluminum on the other, the size of paper towel) HomeDepot, found Heating/Air Cond. Section

2 pieces of self adhisive foam piping insulation. They look like big foam sticks to cover pipes. $5-10 (HomeDepot, found Heating/Air Cond. Section)

1 x Metal Scissors

1 x Cardboard box to create a template

1 x K&N filter that looks like mine(2.5-3.0 inch diameter) $65 pep boys

1 x 90 degree plastic air intake bend(2.5-3 diameter Chrome color)

1 x spray paint to match your color or just black ($5 caliper paint from pepboy works great plus, dries quick, durable, heat resistant & was a perfect color match to my car) and I had it from painting my calipers

Steps
1. Remove stock intake box
2. Use a junk cardboard and draw/create a template of a heat shield. You can draw and cut the cardboard as you go along. This is the most crutial step. Make sure your card board template fits perfectly in to your intake bay around alternator, oil filter. Mark the holes for air intake tube to engine and stock air snorkel from the grille.

3. Once your cardboard template is perfect, use the metals scissors to cut the same shape from the Steel ducting sheet. Bend it to shape( recommend heavy duty gloves. Metal edges are razor sharp so it can slice your hands)

4. fold/bend all the sharp edges about 1/4 inch inwards with pliers. This elimates the sharp edges plus will make the shield more rigid. If you dont fold the edges, it will be too flimsy and wobble around. Plus edges could cut hoses and stuff.

5. Fit the metal shield in your car and make sure it is snug and everything is aligned. if all good then sit nd admire your work for 5 mins.

6. Cover the outside of the shield with your sticky foam/aluminum roll of insulation material. If you have left over, cover the inside as well. This will reduce direct heat transfer from the engine since the shield is metal.

7. Paint the shield with spray paint.( i used a 5$ red caliper paint from pep boys, it dries quickly and more durable)

8. Cover top and bottom edges of the shield with the pipe insulation foam sticks. This will make sure there is no metal to metal contact between the shield and the car body. It will also insulate the seams so heat doesnt get in.

9. I cut the 90 degree plastic bend from pepboys to a 30 degree piece and stuck that between the MAF and the K&N filter. 30degree is what I needed to fit the K&N in an angle away from the engine. Your filter might differ.

10. Connect the top stock air inlet to the hole in your shield.

11. You are done!!! Now you are a proud owner of a HomeMade intake that will perform better than most others. And you can brag about how you built it.

Total cost was less then $100 most of it being the K&N filter.

Most important area is the cardboard template. Make sure it is a good fit. It is a little trial and error to get the top of the shield so it is close to the hood. You do NOT want make it real close to the hood because top edges will be covered by insulating foam sticks which is about 1/4 inch thick. So don't try to make it a perfect fit to the hood, just put a 1/2-1/4 gap between top edge of the shield and the hood then cover the gap with the foam sticks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good Sh*t. im gonna do this and ill have B4, during, and after pix.

how does it sound compared to the stock box?

·
Registered
222 Posts
No offense and correct me if im wrong but didn't you come up with another intake before this one? If you did I give you props for both inventions...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey that a great Diy, but do you think we can get some more pictures.
Of the metal heatshield in particular.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
641 Posts
i made one like 2 weeks ago...nice job!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow. I saw the title of the thread and started humming the Sanford and Son theme song. But that looks good and professional. One question though... won't the box restrict the flow of fresh air to the intake? You might actually choke your engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah, but I still think its restrictive. Let us know how the car is running.
cant be much more restrictive than the stock box, dont you think? Im definatly doing this this weekend, ill take pix and let u guys know how it sounds/feels etc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i made one like 2 weeks ago...nice job!
hey u got any pix? i was thinking of even replacing the accordian tube piece also u guys think this will make a difference in sound or feel?

·
Registered
641 Posts
you also have to think, below the back of the headlight is a pretty big hole...

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Yeah, but I still think its restrictive. Let us know how the car is running.
As you can see in the pic he cut a hole the same size as the OEM snout and he fitted it in there, so he is getting the same amount of Air as on the stock box..with less restriction.:hi:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oh jeez, I didnt think people would respond to it this much.

Box is not restrictive at all. It feeds fresh air from the stock air snorkle on top + it gets fresh air via brake duct using 3inch dia hose from bottom.

You dont really need the hose but I put it in anyway. Heat shield is open at the bottom so it gets fresh air from the brake ducts.

I had this one on my car close to a year I think and no problems what so ever. It sounds like a monster at full throttle. I cant really say I see alot of power gains. It would work better if I had a software upgrade.

Car is at 172K miles and last 70k+ was with my homemade intakes.

This is my 3rd one. I made another one from thin plywood which had the top portion closed as well but it muted the sound so I came up with this one.

This one looks like a stock part, color match is almost exact. It sounds good, it looks good, it performs same or tiny bit better than stock so I give my self 2 thumbs up.

Here is side picture that was after a lot of driving

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
wow. that looks really good for homemade. not a big fan of the red paint on the heat shield though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Though about black but I had left over red caliper paint so that what I used.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That really does look good. I see your plan better in the other photos. Do you think the box itself adds to the sound of the aftermarket intake?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts