E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering what preventative maintenance I should do on my 2003 330xi with about 110k miles. The car is far from perfect, so I don't want to do anything I can't do myself for just the price of relatively cheap OEM parts/fluids.

How easy is a transmission fluid flush? That was last done at 60k miles. I guess the three (ugh never getting AWD again) differential fluids should be changed? Easy? I think the car has its original fuel filter--time for a change?

Anything else?

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
All of the fluids. Including brake and coolant.

All of the cooling system plastic.

The outer front boots, if they show any cracking.

Maybe the fuel pump, if it's original. I do them, because I've had late pumps fail as early as 100k miles.

Only if you see leakage, do the oil filter housing gasket, and check the oil pan-
the xi's seem to be harder on them than the regular cars.

I like the xi for what it is- yes, a few things are harder, but it's a very different
car for a different purpose. I wish it had a viscous center diff, tho.

t

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,016 Posts
I have a 2005 330xi. In addition to what Toby said, consider the following:
Coolant hard pipes
Pre-cat O2 sensors
All vacuum lines
CCV
Check steering guibo. Just replaced mine last week and it made a huge improvement.
Valve cover gasket

Good luck. My car has served me well. I'm at almost 250k miles and it's humming along just fine.

·
Administrator
2013 X1 M-sport
21,816 Posts
You always want to search first and read on what has already been shared here. Be sure to look in the DIY forum.

·
Registered
2018 M240i
12,437 Posts
I wouldn’t do a transmission flush but a transmission fluid exchange. This uses the fluid pump in the transmission to fully swap the existing fluid with new fluid. The first step is to drain the fluid and swap out the filter.

Get to know www.realoem.com. Hit the website and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. This website lists every stinkin’ part in your and it also tells you what other bimmers use the same part #.

A lot of us buy our parts from FCPEuro in CT. Great prices and a great warranty.

The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The minimum I would do is a change all the fluids and filters. If you are certain the Transmission fluid was changed at 60K, I might leave that one until later.
Since it sounds like you able to do a lot of work yourself, do a major inspection of everything you can as outlined by others. Replace items you find needing attention.
Use BALI's list of maintenance items as a reference for inspections. If you try and do all the items listed you are going to go broke. Fix items as needed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
remember the oil filter housing 2 small o-rings. They do NOT come with the filter. They are 50 cents each (need 2) and should be changed like every 3 years or 30,000 miles, or every oil change but that is an overkill. The oil pan plug has a copper O-ring which is specific. I recommend changing it but if you do not have a new one, rub it on a piece of emery cloth to make flat again. As this is copper, it deforms every use and eventually will be too thin to be safe. This is a stop-gap until you get a new one. Synthetics naturally. Rear end fluid is really easy. Just unscrew the FILL PLUG BEFORE !!! THE DRAIN PLUG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts