BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the differences between the Z4 3.0L engine and the 330 3.0L engine (and exhaust system)? As far as I know, the software is different but other than that I'm not sure. Also, what kind of differential is on the Z4? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jp323i said:
There's a difference? :confused: :huh:
That's what I'm trying to find out. I was told by the $tealer that the differences were minimal but the Z4 had a new differential but he didnt know the ratio. I just need to know for sure about the engine differences before I start modding.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Z4 3.0 has differant headers cause it has more under hood room. Thus it makes a little better torque than the 330. I am not sure about any changes to the transmission and drivetrain

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
It has a 3.07 gear ratio vs. out 2.93 for the 330 Coupes. Its becuase with the added gear they could have a overdrive gear and more aggressive ratios. Thats teh main difference

·
Registered
468 Posts
Gear ratios, Headers, and Differentials has nothing to do with the engine. The engine itself is exactly the same. The headers attached to the engine and exhaust is what changes the HP output.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well as far as i have read......

there are some minor changes to both engine regarding emisions and management as well as revised new version of DSC.

The engines have been slightly retuned to give a wider torque curve band throught the rev range. More specifics i have not yet read but , yes the engines are a bit revised.

i wonder if those engine changes will be incorporated into all the cars which carry the m54 engines.!!

Pedro:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts