E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I have aftermarket headers with a Magnaflow full exhaust. I liked it at first but I would like my car to be a bit more quiet now... Since I still have my stock exhaust (just the last section) I was thinking of only replacing the magnaflow exhaust by the stock exhaust hoping it will quiet down the car a bit (so keeping the magnaflow mid muffler+piping).

Do you guys think it makes sense? I would've changed it back to a full stock exhaust with piping and resonators but I only have the stock exhaust left for now.

Having said that I have a few concerns. The magnaflow piping diameter just before the exhaust is larger than the stock exhaust connection. My mechanic will be able to weld them together, but will it be a problem to have a larger diameter piping than the exhaust? Also, will the car be quieter enough to be worth it? I don't mind maybe losing a couple of HP...

·
Registered
372 Posts
You could get a reducer adapter instead of welding the muffler to the pipe
+1 I would try this first, given the direction you seem inclined to go. No rasp and more throat from the midsection, just changing the voice a bit with the stock back box. Makes sense to me. I was thinking to maybe get there the same way with Borla mid and cross pipes, with stock back box. But since my car is convertible, I don't mind a bit more sound because I'm not trapped in the cabin with it. Top up would be a drone nightmare, I imagine -- even the stock exhaust is too loud for that, IMHO.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

maw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.