E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with the guy that does my exhaust. He told me that I need to find a muffler that has to inlets to fit the bimmers pipes. He is going to bend and weld it all up for $200 or less. I just have no clue on where to get or what one borla or magnaflow muffler.

I also got headers just need to install them. Wondering if I should do that before or after the exhaust install sense they keep making a big deal about no cats n wanting me to tow the car to an exhaust shop right after they install the headers.

Thanks,
Brett

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one at all damn that sucks really wanted some in put from some of the guys on here with magnaflow/borla exhaust

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I would say that more often than not Borla sounds better but is often more expensive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Its shouldnt cost 200 to get a muffler welded on as long as your pipes are in good shape and dont need to be replaced. Mine cost 50.

The best thing to do is search youtube for sound clips of the setup you want and decide. I would shy away from the louder exhausts. Because i dint want my car to sound like a truck or a big lawnmower. But some dont mind. I ended up with the eurospec muffler, because it had a more euro sound and cost. Next choice was highline catback.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=325+borla&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=325+magnaflow&aq=f

good luck

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
200 was for all new pipes bent cut n welded. I will watch those vids when I get back

Thanks

Anyone in nor cal that has exhaust on there BMW

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No one at all damn that sucks really wanted some in put from some of the guys on here with magnaflow/borla exhaust

Usually responses take a day or two on this board. Most of us are asleep at 12:03 a.m. so we don't see the post until the next day.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of those vids r such poor quality but I'm also viewing them on my phone.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not buying the whole exhaust just the muffler then having the pipes custom bent so the muffler will be th

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
if you have headers keep the stock muffler and remove the 2nd resonator. its loud enough when you floor it. but quiet when you drive normally. add a magnaflow or borla muffler and you will screw up peoples hearing withing a 2 mile radius of your car.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I care for the people 2 miles away but I like to here my car not just when I floor it. I am probably going to go with magnaflow sense I have had that on my car before n no what it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Entire magnaflow system is like 1300...I can buy a muffler and get a custom bent exhaust for a couple hundred or less. So 1300 is crazy...

What so different from a shop custom building n bending a exhaust system except that its from magnaflow.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been listing to the e46 straight piped with headers n it sounds good but don't know what it sounds like in person?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think if you do a straight pipe and add headers, you will be disapointed. Its one thing to do a delete with stock headers but if you upgrade headers with a straight pipe... your e46 will be heard from around the world.

I guess it all depends on what you want it to sound like... I know $1,300 for the system is a ton of $$$ but call Dan @ performance peddler... he can cut that price in 1/2...

I just put mine on last night... its sweet but not too loud at all. If i were to add headers... thats when the super car sound comes out!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's for the input I already bought the headers. So I just need to build the exhaust around that something that's going to go good with the headers and it sounds like the magnaflow is going to be the best bet.

I just need to find a good place to buy the muffler cuz magnaflow's website was around 300 for just the muffler. And I need the double inlet one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts