BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too familiar with how appeals work for SDIP points in MA. Long story short, I was driving on the highway and had to swerve out of the way to avoid a piece of metal guard rail that flew into my lane. Unfortunately, I hit a car that was coming up in the next lane and was found to be at more than 50% fault.

Is worth appealing the fact that the accident was due to debris/emergency maneuver or do they not even consider that in MA?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would appeal it just for the principle of it. But then I like to appeal everything because the consequences are more than I care to bear.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think it's one of those situations where you really can't win though. The thing is, the guy next to you really isn't at fault at all. You really didn't cause the accident, but the piece of metal was in YOUR lane, so I think the judge/court is still gonna find you at more than 50% just because you're slightly more at blame...

Over the summer, I swerved to avoid a deer and put my car in a ditch. The insurance company said that if I had hit the deer, they would ahve paid for everything and I wouldn't haven't gotten an SDIP increase.

BUT, because I did react and avoided the deer (which would have caused waaaay more damage), they said I was completely at fault.

·
Registered
612 Posts
^^^ whatttt??? that sux man.... anyone would obviously try not to hit the dear. thats fukced up.
Yeah, it's human nature to swerve when you're bearing down on a 300 pound deer. But if you read the driver's manual, it says you're supposed to just brake in a straight line so you don't hit anyone else...

Try telling that to any when they have a fraction of a second to react.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts