BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the e46 manual for the sedan recommends 17x8 rims (all the way around) as the largest wheel size. Do any members run a staggered set up on a sedan? If so, are there any negative performance issues I should know about (rubbing, brake clearance, etc.)? I'm thinking of buying a staggered set of M68s for my sedan.
Thanks for your help.
~~J

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
not a problem at all...
BMW recommends running 225/45/17 and 245/40/17.
Following those recommendations you will be fine...
Basically you're running a sport package setup from a 330i.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am pretty sure the stock rims for the SP are 17x7.5 in front with 225/45 and 17x8.5 on the rears with 245/40's.

the worst part about the staggered setup is tire rotation. it can't be done unless you want to change the rotational direction of the tires by swapping sides, and the tires aren't unidirectional

right now, my stock tires have developed noises, kind of a wah wah wah sound, which i believe are cupping, which are worst around 20mph. i took the car to the dealer and they swapped tires from a new car and the sound went away. they said the warranty doesn't cover tires. i can find no one in this area who shaves tires either.

even though i drive it as quickly as can around corners and with the DSC off, the tires still have a good amount of tread after 18k miles

my answer, if i stay with a staggered setup, i buy the softest tires i can find with the idea that they will be gone in 15k miles.

other wise i will get the same size wheels front and back..

hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts