E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first BMW I have ever owned.I have a 2000 E46 323i.I got it cheap with low miles and it is a great daily driver, but now I have the bug.I want more but want to stay N/A.So I have this opportunity to get a M60B40 for extremely cheap.Has anybody swapped this into an E46 chassis?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I dont own a bimmer yet but i will when ill be back from afghanistan.

I can for sure tell you that everybody will tell you to sell and buy an m3.

For me , ill get a 323 and supercharge it .

But sell it and buy a M3.

Kent

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd never consider doing a M60 motor... Especially if it's a Nikasil lined block... They were a nightmare!

6-cylinder options are more straight forward...
If you want N/A V8 power though, the S62 is the only OEM motor worth the trade.
IMO, the best economical V8 route is a GM LS1... Or if you want a really significant power boost, there's a bunch of small-block LSX variants.

I've been piecing together a swap myself since the fall... Check out my thread... There's a bunch of good links to get you started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I made a mistake by with the motor.The doner car that I may use is a 540i.I believe that is a m62 motor.I will need to double check for sure.If it is the m62 would this be possible?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think I made a mistake by with the motor.The doner car that I may use is a 540i.I believe that is a m62 motor.I will need to double check for sure.If it is the m62 would this be possible?
Well they'll all fit...
M60's were used from 1992-1995
M62's were used from 1994-2005
You'll have to check the block to see which one it is.
Also, it's not just a simple bolt and go obviously, but you can get that motor in.

Either way, using a standard M60 or M62 really isn't worth the time, effort, or expense if you're not planning on doing upgrades to the motor.
You'll have moderately increased HP and TQ figures, but they're each significantly heavier engines, so you're not adding much in the way the power-to-weight ratio.

Now if you end up with a late-build M62, and want to invest in upgrading the internals, then supercharging and tuning it, you'd end up with a performance boost worth writing home about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts