E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Long time member here.
Recently completed a full m56 Valve cover swap - including PCV delete.

I'm now getting a large amount of positive pressure through the crankcase which is leading to oil leaks around the engine.
When removing the Oil fill cap I get the sound of air pushing out and a decent amount of air coming out.

Something tells me there's a blockage in the system but I'm not sure where....

Mods performed:

1. Replaced Valve cap and membrane with Paraklas' aluminium cap
2. Removed old PCV system entirely
3. Replaced with m56 Dipstick
4. Rerouted Valve cover vent directly to the intake manifold
5. Plugged the open intake port at the back

Any ideas as to what could be happening guys?

Any help would be appreciated!

kai

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,884 Posts
Should be pretty easy to diagnose.

With the engine idling, disconnect the vacuum hose from the M56 valve cover, and test if the hose is sucking air. That should be immediately obvious as the hose is now directly connected to the intake manifold without any sort of reducer in between.
If not obvious, try using a plastic bag on the hose to see if there is vacuum at all.

In case there is low or no vacuum at the hose, the problem most likely is due to clogged air distributor, or collapsed vaccum hose.

If there is a decent amount of vacuum, then the prime suspect is the M56 diagram (original, Russian-made, or purchased from m46sulev?). Perhaps it's not installed right?
What about the piece inside the aluminum cover - have you opened it, redone the gasket with silicone...?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!

Just followed your instructions.

There was a strong rush of air as I removed the hose from the valve cover
(coming out of the valve cover)

And there was slight suction on the intake hose - enough to form a seal around my thumb as I held over the hose.

Seems like a blocked air distributor or collapsed hose.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N5jlRjqEJNELj1avlmJnGROXTFbcUKxO

Will give it a clean some time this week and see how it goes.

Thanks Mega!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Granted it’s been a while since I did this, I had one hose, one that I had to make, was collapsing. You’re mentioning of a collapsed house definitely happened to me. I personally can’t say what that would cause, and I fixed it that day so I didn’t try to drive it like that.

But to fix it I ended up sliding a snugly fitting flexible spring to give the house enough strength not to collapse as well as keep the tight bend it commanded.
I can take some pictures tomorrow for you if you think that helps, if not good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be useful just to double check how you routed the hose. I think my problem is caused by me trying to follow the old hose down towards the ccv and then back up.

Probably lose a bit of airflow because of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
654 Posts
kai-:
For what it’s worth, this post shows how I ran my vacuum plumbing to the vacuum distribution rail:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=18717653&postcount=1485
No bends or dips in the piping and no collapsed hoses. Merely my version. Other designs also work.
beech, did you ever get vacuum readings when using both intake ports?
i plan to copy your set up to use in my Bavarian E39 MOD but just waiting for the next oil change to see how my mod holds up...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
beech, did you ever get vacuum readings when using both intake ports?
i plan to copy your set up to use in my Bavarian E39 MOD but just waiting for the next oil change to see how my mod holds up...
Yes, I just posted it this morning over on the long M56 VC thread. Sorry for the delay. I got 14.5 mbar, so I am a little low, but I think there are other factors because of the mileage on my engine. I need to go looking for why I am a little low, but the car runs fine with no codes, either before or after I did the M56 VC mod. The response and acceleration after the mod are much better than before.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
654 Posts
Thanks beech, too much vacuum is what I'm worried about....a little less is fine with me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts