BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1577 Posts

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally off base here but I was wondering if anyone has eliminated the CCV PITA by switching to the M56 valve cover (for the SULEV) where the oil separator is built into the valve cover.

Benefits:

Aluminum Valve cover:
- less chance of warping, cracks etc.
- less chance of VCG leaks

CCV maintenance ease
- CCV built into VC
- no more ridiculous contorting and removal of half the engine bay to get at CCV
- One outlet pipe to intake - simplified catch can setup.
- replaceable rubber diaphragm for OS repair.

Frozen CCV/Mayo
- being built into the VC there is little chance the rubber diaphram or pipe will freeze before it drains (as engine is still warm) . If it did freeze from buildup it will also thaw better as the engine warms unlike the separate CCV on the M54 that remains frozen after the engine warms.

Rather than fork out another $150 for a new CCV kit I'm thinking of spending $500 and buying the M56 Valve cover.

I realize I'll have to replace the plastic BMW cover over the VC and a new vent hose.

Anyone see any issues with this mod? Are there any fitment issues I might not have considered?

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Little over a month ago, I spotted a M56 car at a local pick and pull junk yard. I grabbed the valve cover and dipstick , along with 6 brand new coil packs , for the unheard of sum of 43 bucks. The plastic diaphragm in the valve cover has a hole in it and needs to be replaced. It's a very small hole it it, maybe I can fix it with some right stuff and then see it it will work. I'll be putting this cover on , when weather gets a bit warmer. I have a couple of different ideas on this for now. One I started working on last night. I'm using modeling clay to make a mold of the area under the CCV cap on the cover. Once the mold is made, I plan on pouring urethane rubber for the fitted part to go into the cavity on the cap, then hook up a PCV valve, right on top of the cap and let that be the fix for vacuum control.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Little over a month ago, I spotted a M56 car at a local pick and pull junk yard. I grabbed the valve cover and dipstick , along with 6 brand new coil packs , for the unheard of sum of 43 bucks. The plastic diaphragm in the valve cover has a hole in it and needs to be replaced. It's a very small hole it it, maybe I can fix it with some right stuff and then see it it will work. I'll be putting this cover on , when weather gets a bit warmer. I have a couple of different ideas on this for now. One I started working on last night. I'm using modeling clay to make a mold of the area under the CCV cap on the cover. Once the mold is made, I plan on pouring urethane rubber for the fitted part to go into the cavity on the cap, then hook up a PCV valve, right on top of the cap and let that be the fix for vacuum control.
You can buy the rubber diaphragm for about $20

Edit: Nice haul at the junk yard BTW. I miss the Pull a Part in Columbia SC.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
Why would you do this when you can switch to a catch can? $500 is absurd for something that will be non-issue for the rest of the car's life.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
You need some really high temp stuff and stuff that can spend it's life in oil. Otherwise it'll fall apart and end up in your engine. That's asking for trouble.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you do this when you can switch to a catch can? $500 is absurd for something that will be non-issue for the rest of the car's life.
The risk where I'm located isn't just the fouling of the CCV - the bigger risk is the freezing of the dipstick return tube and any of the CCV or catch can hoses that might accumulate "mayo" The design on the newer BMW engines is similar to the M56 - with an integrated CCV but they also heat the external tubes.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
It's a "factory" mod too, one that simplifies the engine bay rather than adding more lines and peripherals.

Neat idea. :thumbup: Can't wait for the DIY! :D

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
It's a cool concept. I was researching this not too long ago. Having the knowledge in hindsight, when I replaced the VC on my car a few years back, I would have gone this route instead.

The risk where I'm located isn't just the fouling of the CCV - the bigger risk is the freezing of the dipstick return tube and any of the CCV or catch can hoses that might accumulate "mayo" The design on the newer BMW engines is similar to the M56 - with an integrated CCV but they also heat the external tubes.
The port for the return hose is capped with a catch can setup. I was actually thinking of incorporating an M56 dipstick tube which would remove the need for any capping.

Btw, GAS is coming up with a new CCV system that goes on top of oil filter housing, in case you are not aware of it.
G.A.S. has been working on this for years. I stopped waiting and bought a Radium catch can setup instead.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I realize I'll have to replace the plastic BMW cover over the VC and a new vent hose.

Anyone see any issues with this mod? Are there any fitment issues I might not have considered?
May also need an M56 intake distribution piece or make some kind of adapter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Solidjake, is I have seen pics of m56 valve covers and for some reason they seem to have 2 oil caps.

I figure that's what I was seeing on my oil cap, as after replacing the motor, I went for a short test drive and had what you just described, I was a bit worried thinking the motor installed could have a bad headgasket, but upon taking a long drive it was gone and figured was just condensation. It is fairly cold here and constantly changing weather.

To the OP, good luck. I'll be thinking of this as next mod.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry for the 2 questions but:
-What is "Frozen CCV/Mayo"?
-Why does the m56 has 2 oil caps?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=17139960&postcount=55

BMW Service Interpretation Bulletin (SIB) regarding CCV freezing

The above SIB describes the issue. It recommends to change to the cold weather kit (insulated tubes and wider dipstick drain tube) - this has proved insufficient as cars in extreme cold weather continue to experience engine failure even with the CW CCV kit. ergo BMW changed the design of the CCV to an integrated version for new engines.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
1 - 20 of 1577 Posts