BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But the problem is that I don't feel the kick when I reach 3500/4000 rpm. I read it could be the vanos. I feel I can exclude the solenoids because I doubt that they do not generate direct or indirect codes. I will order a kit for the vanos gaskets and let you know, I think it is very useful to update you as it is known that the vanos intervenes at a low rpm, here it is at medium / high revs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
But the problem is that I don't feel the kick when I reach 3500/4000 rpm. I read it could be the vanos. I feel I can exclude the solenoids because I doubt that they do not generate direct or indirect codes. I will order a kit for the vanos gaskets and let you know, I think it is very useful to update you as it is known that the vanos intervenes at a low rpm, here it is at medium / high revs.
Solenoids would throw a code if they’ve failed. Is there a chance that they’re soft failing? Can you run the car with the solenoids unplugged to see if the issue changes?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks, I was thinking about doing this test but I don't know how to do it. There are two solenoids, which of the two should I disconnect, or both? Is it safe for the vanos gears to disconnect the solenoids and drive the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you pull either of the electrical connectors the vanos will be turned off and stay in a default position. Exhaust one is easier to access. Can't damage anything by disconnecting it. The car will just feel slower.

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, so can I disconnect only the exhaust one? Or both?
what do you suggest me?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just unplugged the intake solenoid connector, and the car had no changes, exact same behavior. Could this be the problem?
thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just unplugged the intake solenoid connector, and the car had no changes, exact same behavior. Could this be the problem?
thanks
That seems like a winner to me. You can also verify this with INPA or PA Soft by watching the VANOS timing adjustment live data.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,364 Posts
These are the codes:
- p0140 (o2 sensor post cats)
-p2271 (o2 sensor post cats)
-27C3 (thermal oil sensor)
The fuel pressure was measured by inpa (not directly on the injector track) and its value is 450 kPa = 4.5 bar
Where in INPA did you see fuel pressure? Post a screen shot of that.
E46 with M54 engine (and likely E85) has no fuel pressure sensor, so I doubt what you saw is measured.

Anyway, 4.5 bar is 65 PSI, which is certainly too high. It should be 50 PSI measured at the fuel rail. So check that properly.

What are the four fuel trims and MAF value in grams/second at hot idle?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Where in INPA did you see fuel pressure? Post a screen shot of that.
E46 with M54 engine (and likely E85) has no fuel pressure sensor, so I doubt what you saw is measured.

Anyway, 4.5 bar is 65 PSI, which is certainly too high. It should be 50 PSI measured at the fuel rail. So check that properly.

What are the four fuel trims and MAF value in grams/second at hot idle?

Luftamasse is mass flow, it's 12kg/h=3,3g/s (second screenshot)
In the first screenshot, I have highlighted what you asked me.
Thanks

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That seems like a winner to me. You can also verify this with INPA or PA Soft by watching the VANOS timing adjustment live data.
Sorry, I don't understand at all, you mean that this could be the cause? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry, I don't understand at all, you mean that this could be the cause? Thanks
Potentially, yes. If a VANOS solenoid isn’t actuating you won’t get that power in the high end. We have a M54b25 with an intermittent failing solenoid and it’s somewhat noticeable.

Follow Balidawg first, though. He’s smart with diagnosis through data.

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Potentially, yes. If a VANOS solenoid isn’t actuating you won’t get that power in the high end. We have a M54b25 with an intermittent failing solenoid and it’s somewhat noticeable.

Follow Balidawg first, though. He’s smart with diagnosis through data.
Is it throwing a code?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it throwing a code?
When it fails it says something like VANOS intake solenoid actuator failed or whatever the technobabble is.

Ours is soft failing where it just won’t work sometimes but usually it’s working. I ought to check if the code came back as I erased it a few weeks back.

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
When it fails it says something like VANOS intake solenoid actuator failed or whatever the technobabble is.

Ours is soft failing where it just won’t work sometimes but usually it’s working. I ought to check if the code came back as I erased it a few weeks back.
Ok thanks a lot

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,364 Posts
View attachment 909248

In the first screenshot, I have highlighted what you asked me.
That INPA screen shot does say fuel pressure, but it may be calculated rather than measured.
Measuring the fuel pressure with a proper gauge at the fuel rail will give you an accurate reading.

MAF value of 3.3 g/s seems fine.
The fuel trims looked slightly negative (rich), but still within 5% of 0, which is fine. Perhaps engine was not fully warmed up?

·
Registered
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That INPA screen shot does say fuel pressure, but it may be calculated rather than measured.
Measuring the fuel pressure with a proper gauge at the fuel rail will give you an accurate reading.

MAF value of 3.3 g/s seems fine.
The fuel trims looked slightly negative (rich), but still within 5% of 0, which is fine. Perhaps engine was not fully warmed up?
I waited some time but i don't know if it was the right temperature.
I made a video with inpa on the vanos, can you take a look and tell me if something is wrong? thank you
Here is the link:
At the end there are other informations. Thanks
Tips: watch the video from the middle, because first I'm doing some maneuvers to get on the road

21 - 37 of 37 Posts