BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to swap in a motor to my 2002 330CI. It overheated and the head bolts stripped when I replaced the head. I can buy a good M54B30 from a wrecked 2004 bmw 330CI but I don't know if it will transplant easily. Is this just a drop in replacement or are there significant differences between the 2002 and 2004 M54B30 engines? I looked in other threads but found only questions about dissimilar swaps.
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
829 Posts
iirc the engines themselves are completely identical. What MIGHT different is the DME (not sure on this)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MegaStihl, thanks for the quick response. Based on that, I will buy the engine and just use all the electrical/harnesses off of the old engine.
>iirc the engines themselves are completely identical. What MIGHT different is the DME (not sure on this)

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,131 Posts
MegaStihl, thanks for the quick response. Based on that, I will buy the engine and just use all the electrical/harnesses off of the old engine.
Yes and use the old MAF, intake air temp sensor and secondary air pump.

Transfer the hose, one way valve and solenoid for the SAP that routes behind the head and manifold as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts