BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Rallyroad.

I run the GSR oil pump setup as well, to give that extra bit of piece of mind - will find out how it has held up being revved to 7800 on a regular basis when I pull the pan in a couple of months.

M3 cluster would be nice, to actually see the needle hit thise numbers.

So this is something that has interested me, but as a young novice. I’m not quite sure what limitations occur at that high rpm and what needs to be changed and why, to increase rpm limit. If you can explain a bit more in detail this would be great. Sorta hard to find this info anywhere else lol.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
867 Posts
So this is something that has interested me, but as a young novice. I’m not quite sure what limitations occur at that high rpm and what needs to be changed and why, to increase rpm limit. If you can explain a bit more in detail this would be great. Sorta hard to find this info anywhere else lol.

If you're car is boosted with gtx3582 r you will be spooling at 4500rpm and with 6500rpm limit you aint got much to go , when you can rev to 7800 rpm everytime you shift you will stay in boost.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

On a standard engine with no boost, cams, exhaust and intake mods as a package, I really don't believe there is anything to be gained past 6800 - 7000 rpm and even with a tune your hp and tq will fall over well before these limits.

Possibly, there is the oil pump nut failure with M54B30 engines when revving the engine higher.

·
Registered
571 Posts
On a standard engine with no boost, cams, exhaust and intake mods as a package, I really don't believe there is anything to be gained past 6800 - 7000 rpm and even with a tune your hp and tq will fall over well before these limits.

Possibly, there is the oil pump nut failure with M54B30 engines when revving the engine higher.

This I know and can agree. Currently my car sits NA. I used to rev to 7k, I saw no benefit, car didn’t feel like it wild pull and it was more risk than a gain. I will be dyno tuning the car soon before I boost it. This where a higher rpm limit intrigues me most. The car will be getting the drilled oil pump nut till I can afford the GSR sprocket. But I’d like to combine that with a slightly modded head to raise redline.

But I’d like some background on that. Won’t this increase the risk of rodbearing failure? As the space between the bearings wasn’t made to allow proper oil lubrication at such a high rpm. This is just my theory anyway.
And does the lighter valve train components help prevent valve float, therefore, also keep the piston from slapping the valve?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This I know and can agree. Currently my car sits NA. I used to rev to 7k, I saw no benefit, car didn’t feel like it wild pull and it was more risk than a gain. I will be dyno tuning the car soon before I boost it. This where a higher rpm limit intrigues me most. The car will be getting the drilled oil pump nut till I can afford the GSR sprocket. But I’d like to combine that with a slightly modded head to raise redline.

But I’d like some background on that. Won’t this increase the risk of rodbearing failure? As the space between the bearings wasn’t made to allow proper oil lubrication at such a high rpm. This is just my theory anyway.
And does the lighter valve train components help prevent valve float, therefore, also keep the piston from slapping the valve?

When ever you put an engine under more load, one would surmise axtra wear and tear as a result.
Engine failure.... to many variables to consider.

Lighter valves will decrease valve float when using larger cams and increasing the rpm to make usr of such cams - if it is present.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run a b30 with a ts2 kit in my m3 drift car. For now on a standard 8 psi pulley. I'm thinking about getting a 8,5 psi pulley (ts2+ pulley from ESS) and a custom map, how high can i safely rev it on a stock longblock? Not looking to put to much money in to it as i would rather save it for a turbo build on my s54.
The engine itself is in good condition as it was rebuildt with a balanced rotating assembly with (including clutch and flywheel) a year ago. as i drift the thing it will live quite a lot of it's life on or near limiter so probably need to be a little bit more conservative than a fast road car that only goes that high for short bursts.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts