E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 325ci M54B25 Automatic 136k Miles, Bought it from a granny.

Hello Everyone, Before i get the simple answer's from most
imma spam my main parts list of things
I've done to try and solve the codes.

Intake Manifold Gasket

TB Gasket

Used Brake booster (50k)

All Silicone hoses, i even redid the brake booster hoses.

Turner Silicone 1 piece Intake boot, thought for sure would help nope :(

CVV Delete Catch can Install PCV Valve installed right 2 holes plugged

Fuel Pump + Filter (50psi) at crank.

6Plugs,6Coils VCG,IPS

2 Pre Sensors

(Ordered) Rebuilt Vanos Whole Unit with upgraded seals for my last resort before i sell.

Help me pls :(

Bought a somewhat Fake Maf for $150 and turns my Codes rich but solves my weird
cold start, back but on oem MAF which when bare cold my car will kinda stumble under 500 (Sometimes it clacks) then it catches its self and goes up towards 1.5k rpms and settles but when hot for every start for the first 15secs it stumbles and feels off but once again it settles. Car goes into Limp mode shorting after letting off at 4k

IK there's alot of Threads for Lean codes, but i feel my problem if different since I've done the ideal things that would cause the codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't make a difference, tried my buddy's maf from same year and didn't really help
doesn't stutter nor does it sound better... but with the Lean code i don't really have a bad misfire.my idle sits and stays at 750 700 with ac.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Doesn't make a difference, tried my buddy's maf from same year and didn't really help
doesn't stutter nor does it sound better... but with the Lean code i don't really have a bad misfire.my idle sits and stays at 750 700 with ac.
Have you actually done a smoke test? There is a possibility you might have messed up the gasket jobs. Not fitted a hose on the CCV properly.
Then there's the purge valve. The EVAP system. Tank filler cap o-ring.
But smoke test first.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

Having most tools I've replaced all common things i have the Silicone 1 piece intake boot so that's not that problem
having CAT problems Aswell doing headers today, because my car is a snail it wont move and when it does it limp modes where you have to reset car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you actually done a smoke test? There is a possibility you might have messed up the gasket jobs. Not fitted a hose on the CCV properly.
Then there's the purge valve. The EVAP system. Tank filler cap o-ring.
But smoke test first.
not a pro one but DIY ones proved to work if major leak.
Looking more towards evap side as i have had VCG off 3 times (Blue Gasket little tabs) now refitted to check Aswell is intake from switching from Catch can back to OEM PCV no luck but i know for sure i have the smallest vac leak on dipstick Oring as i could not find the Oring local i used gasket maker along with torn Oring(not too smart ik) BangHead4 i daily the car so it is only getting worse.

·
Administrator
17,722 Posts
Do a smoke test, as mentioned already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do a smoke test, as mentioned already.
I did (Harbor Pump with cigar) no smoke even on crappy Oring, if the car doesn't feel better after Header imma take it too a shop because i have alot invested in motor parts and it should be reliable

Bali, I'm well aware you have seen it all, but this problem is hard to explain most time a lean code would mess with the shift points with transmission, no? my car shifts to 4 gear before getting to 30mph, Revving to 5-6k with no load no miss I'm noobie to bmw but have been reading all you're forums trying all same cases buying parts and no luck maybe a cracked VC would could both bank high STFT LTFT?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
So many picture, So many numbers.

• What are you 4 fuel trims at hot idle?
  • What are your 4 fuel trims at steady highway cruise?
  • The total fuel trim for each bank is the sum of the short and long term fuel trims
  • If the total fuel trim is worse at highway cruise, then it's likely a fuel supply problem. Change fuel pump and filter/regulator
  • If the total fuel trim is worse at idle, then its likely a vacuum leak. Smoke test the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So many picture, So many numbers.

• What are you 4 fuel trims at hot idle?
  • What are your 4 fuel trims at steady highway cruise?
  • The total fuel trim for each bank is the sum of the short and long term fuel trims
  • If the total fuel trim is worse at highway cruise, then it's likely a fuel supply problem. Change fuel pump and filter/regulator
  • If the total fuel trim is worse at idle, then its likely a vacuum leak. Smoke test the engine.
They drop halfway when accelerating like a leak would I had put I cheaper pump in 3 months ago nothing changed about the car, tomorrow I am installing new vdo injectors and pump,3 dipstick orings tomorrow, still I am throwing limp mode on any hard throttle above 1.5k and my MPG Guage drops the second Trans(Auto) goes into second gear and stays there until I let off I was told this could be issue with my cheaper pump with check valve issues.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Please provide the fuel trim under the steady state conditions as requested, so we can see what is happening.

Yes the fuel trims will be all over the place under acceleration and deceleration. The fuel status may even go from 2 to 4 because of it. This is normal. We need the steady state fuel trims to see what's happening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But did pump,injectors,dipstick oring today no change at all within trims also always goes limp if I go anyway near WOT, Pressure is holding 45 with key off and 50 with engine started so I fixed my check valve issue but not a darn difference, not too good with wording but I plan to redo valve cover for the 3rd time to use seal to hold it in place I must be pinching it for my trims to be this whacky.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
But did pump,injectors,dipstick oring today no change at all within trims also always goes limp if I go anyway near WOT, Pressure is holding 45 with key off and 50 with engine started so I fixed my check valve issue but not a darn difference, not too good with wording but I plan to redo valve cover for the 3rd time to use seal to hold it in place I must be pinching it for my trims to be this whacky.
If pressure is 45 with key at position 2 and engine off, you have a fuel delivery issue.

What brand pump did you buy? New or used? New fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have multiple data runs going 25miles on OBD Fusion just don't know where to upload.
Here are two options:
  • Load the CSV files into DropBox and post the links here.
  • Load the CSV files into your Google Drive and post the links here

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If pressure is 45 with key at position 2 and engine off, you have a fuel delivery issue.

What brand pump did you buy? New or used? New fuel filter?
I HAD cheaper Amazon special in before that it would hold 50psi pre start and idling but would bleed off right away when car off I have Uro Fuel pump now its a little lower turned off then 50psi maybe 47psi I have a harbor freight Guage no telling if that's actual, it does not bleed off anymore after shut down with new pump.

2 Mahle filter done when I did pump first time I didn't mix anything up I even went back down there to clamp air source hose to make sure that wasn't a problem.

Haven't tried anything with ecu,wiring,module's side yet might have car tuned now since I have headers but may just send out ecu to see if it needs repaired.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts